photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Silently Protesting Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Valentine’s Day has to be the most annoying day of the year… and this is coming from me, a person who’s been in a relationship for 2 years. Valentine’s Day is the one day out of the year when people who are in relationships get more lovey, dovey, and lame. It’s also the one day out of the year when the single people, who usually don’t care to be single throughout the whole year, suddenly care about being single. Valentine’s Day sucks and I’ve been over it.

I remember being in elementary school when Valentine’s Day was like a second Halloween day, minus the costumes. Everybody got a Valentine Day card with candy. It was the one time in my life when this holiday felt very inclusive.

Then high school happened and suddenly, Valentine’s Day became exclusive. I was mostly single throughout high school, which didn’t really bother me. But when Valentine’s Day came around, I was mad that I was single. I would see how happy girls would get when their boyfriends had gotten them big bears, roses, and chocolate. The way that the couples looked at each other on this day had made me want to be loved. I wanted that, but I knew I was never going to get it.

So instead of trying to find love, I did a silent protest every Valentine’s Day. Instead of wearing pink and red on that day, I would wear all black. And while all my friends who were in relationships were going out on romantic Valentine’s Day dates, I was sitting at home watching horror movies because they had the least amount of romance in them.

My sophomore year of college was when I started dating my boyfriend. It was also the same year I wasn’t single for the first time on Valentine’s Day. It was the first year in a long time that I wore pink and watched a romantic movie on that day. I had finally gotten what I wanted back in high school… to be loved on a day that’s dedicated to love.

The second Valentine’s Day with my boyfriend was something I didn’t really care much for. I was kind of over Valentine’s Day. I think that was the same year I had realized that Valentine’s Day was way too overrated. I think I just wanted to experience what Valentine’s Day would be like being in a relationship. Now that I know what it’s like, I’m back to silently protesting the dumb stupid lovey dovey holiday again.

-HCXO!

I'm Jessie Thomas, a junior in college. I'm a fun loving girl who loves music and fashion! Someday I hope to be successful in the entertainment industry.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.