This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

We spend so much time doting on our sweet best friends that we often forget to show our appreciation to the people who make them who they are—their family! If we’re talking about true best friendship here, then their parents and siblings may as well be yours too. Not necessarily because of the time you spend around them, but the relationship you’ve built with them. The depths of connections with best friends vary. Some believe in STRONG separation of family and friends and others practically adopt one another. Either way, if you and your best bud are truly best buds then their family has gotten an earful about you on many occasions. Maybe you’re still unsure of just how much of a difference your close compadre’s family has made in your life. Here are a few things that you may be overlooking.

1. Your Understood Seat at the Table

Whether your second family is out to eat or dining at home for the night, it’s never been an issue for you to join them; if anything, they may be asking about you if you’ve skipped too many lunches or dinners with them.

2. Being Treated Equally

At this point, you are no longer a guest. You know what is in which cabinet, where the extra blankets are stored, and that you really are welcome to another helping. This also means that you’re liable to receive a dirty look from everyone when you talk about The Saints in a Falcons household. There is a certain level of comfort that comes with knowing that you’re accepted. 

3. The Wise Words

You probably already get a good dose of advice at your actual home, but then you get more of it when you’re opening up to your friend’s family. Especially if they have someone that you don’t (ex: an older sibling, a great grandmother, etc.) on hand to listen and provide feedback. And although you’re practically a family member, they might leave a little sugar coating on the criticism so it’s not so harsh.

4. They’re Not Yours

It’s natural to sometimes be annoyed by your own family so it’s a great thing to find a safe haven when your mom keeps badgering you to put your clothes away. But on the other hand, we have to be glad about the fact that we can leave our friend’s family too. Quite frankly, sometimes things get awkward and when they do, you won’t be blamed for fleeing the scene. 

Without their guardians and the people that your best friend forever can look to for love, they wouldn’t be nearly as great. Every little quirk that you can appreciate about them comes from being surrounded by those people. It’s always so easy to take advantage of people’s kindness. But if you’ve ever felt at home in a place away from home, then it’s about time you gave thanks if you haven’t already! People come and go, but some people are permanent fixtures in our lives—make sure when you’re showering that person with gratitude, you spread a little to their people too!

HCXO!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.