Sex is Good for You! 8 Reasons Why You Need To Get It On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Alongside being pleasurable, it is found that sex is also good for you! Even though sex makes us lose our minds, it also makes us smarter! Who would’ve thought? Here are a few reasons why you should get down and dirty!

1. It’s good for your immune system

Studies have found that people who have sex once or twice a week have higher levels of antibodies that help the body fight off colds and combat diseases. A prescription of sex on your sick days might do you some good!

2. It’s good exercise

Just in case running or being at the gym isn’t your thing, get in bed instead! Sex burns fat and calories. A sex session, which is usually about 20 minutes, can burn about 200 calories, which is comparable to running on the treadmill! Sex can also strengthen your muscles with the action of thrusting your hips, or whatever other positions you pull off in the bedroom. Exchange those running shoes for lingerie and get something started!

3. It’s a p​ain reliever

Have a headache? Forget Advil, have sex instead! Before an orgasm, a hormone in your body called oxytocin rises by five times, releasing endorphins. Endorphins calm pain, ranging from headaches to arthritis to migraines. So next time someone tells you they don’t want to do it because they have a headache, let them know you have a cure: right between your legs.

4. It reduces stress

Being in college is NOT easy. From balancing school, to working and maintaining a social life, it can get kind of crazy. Sexual arousal releases a chemical in the brain that revs up your brain’s pleasure and reward system. It can also help boost your self-esteem and cause happiness. Intimacy soothes stress and anxiety. So when things get too much for you, confide in your partner to make it all better.

5. It helps with your looks

Sex can reduce wrinkles? Say what?! Pleasure that comes from having sex releases human growth hormones, which can help preserve your youth. It also brings about better looking skin and a beautiful glow. Sweating during sex cleanses your pores, making your skin brighter and reducing acne outbreaks. During intercourse a woman’s body doubles the amount of estrogen, leaving your skin softer. As it makes you feel good, it makes you look good as well. Talk about killing two birds with one stone!

6. It reduces your chance of cancer (for men)

It has been found that frequent ejaculation and sexual activity lowers the risk of prostate cancer.

7. It helps you sleep

Sex is a natural remedy for those sleepless nights. After an orgasm, both the male and the female become relaxed, making it easier to fall into a good night’s slumber. 

8. It makes for a stronger bond

Sex between two people who love each other is very powerful. It can increase a bond by helping to connect with someone on a deeper level emotionally and getting to know all parts of them.

So now that I’ve given you very valid reasons why you should have sex, what are you waiting for? Go get busy getting busy! Like milk, sex does the body good. Don’t forget your condoms and to always play it safe! Happy sexing!

I'm Felicia Burnett! I am a sophomore at Valdosta State University. My major is Exercise Physiology but I have a deep passion for writing!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.