Representation Matters: Must see black television series you have to check out!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

For minorities, representation has always been an issue in the United States. The media is known to project stereotypical reflections of the life of minorities. Luckily, people have been hard at work creating more realistic depictions of minorities, providing quality shows that put out empowering and prideworthy images for the public. If you have not been able to find any of these shows do not worry! Her Campus is here to save the day and shed light on a few of my personal favorite shows along with a few worth looking into.

So it’s only right to start with Black & Sexy TV. Black & Sexy TV was created by a group of all black filmmakers in an attempt to greenlight and distribute their own work. It initially started with a film, A Good Day to be Black & Sexy, directed by Dennis Dortch. The film was such a success, they discovered the need for more stories and characters from their point of view – “a Black Point of View”.”Unlike mainstream media, here you will find a reflection of yourself and other people you may know,” a quote from their web page www.blackandsexy.tv says and they are absolutely right. The shows on their site are very relatable almost like you are watching your own life story unfold right before your eyes. They have been creating since 2008, exploring racial politics, sexual politics, and intimacy. Let’s talk about some of the shows they have. 

1. Roomieloverfriends

“RoomieLoverFriends” created and written by Dennis Dortch and Numa Perrier and directed by Dortch, is a tv series that explores the awkward relationship between two roommates whose relationship gets complicated after they find themselves in bed together one evening. Can you say drama?? This tv series will have you laughing, crying and if you are anything like me yelling at your screen for the characters to “do better!” This web series even made it on BET because honestly, it is awesome. This is definitely a number one must see.

2. Hello Cupid 

This is another great show provided by Black & Sexy TV and also another show that made it to BET. This show is about two friends who utilize a dating app. The darker skin friend, Whitney uses her light skin friend’s photograph, Robyn, as her profile picture to see how men respond. When Whitney finds a guy that she actually likes Robyn is forced to go on a date with him( after all it is her picture being used) and the drama unfolds. How will Whitney and Robyn reveal their true identities to the mysterious suitor? How will he take it and who will he choose?

While we are on the topic of black excellence we cannot forget to talk about Issa Rae.She is an American actress, writer, director, producer and web series creator.  Issa Rae is really changing the game in media with shows like Awkward Black Girl, Firsts, and her latest HBO series Insecure.  

3. The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl 

This show is pure comedy. The show follows the life of J as she interacts with co-workers and love interests who place her in uncomfortable situations. The story is told through first person narrative as J usually reveals how she feels about her circumstances through voice over or dream sequences.If you consider yourself awkward this is the show for you!!

4.First

First is about childhood friends reconnecting. The show takes you through flashbacks of their childhoods, college dating, and other relationships as they form a budding new romance. Of course, every relationship has it’s problems so our heartstrings are tugged as we go through the highs and lows of their relationship. Love has never been so beautiful and so black! Check it out.

Lastly, but not least 

5. Insecure

The modern-day black women are typically described as strong and confident; clearly, just the opposite of Issa and Molly. Watch these best friends as they deal with their own real-life flaws, and their insecurities come to the forefront as together they deal with a never-ending series of uncomfortable everyday experiences. This show is aired every Sunday night at 10pm on HBO.

All the shows discussed although not a complete list of amazing black web and tv series can be found on Youtube or on Black & Sexy TV‘s website. Enjoy. 

HCXO

Michaela Washington is a current writer for Her Campus, Valdosta State Chapter. She is a senior, psychology major at Valdosta State University. She is an aspiring Mental health counselor through the field of Social work. Her hobbies include poetry. spoken word and painting. Growing up a military brat she has acquired quite an eclectiv view of the world and applies it to all aspects of life; fashion, music, and life philosophies. There is beauty in diversity. Follow her on Instagram @universoully_sound or on Twitter @Mschaela.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.