This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When you were little, there might have been a dream that you had where you wanted to be something really big in life. Whether it was a singer, firefighter, dancer, teacher, lawyer, or a doctor, we all had a goal to look forward to that we wanted to be. As we have all grew older, we either have changed our mind or stuck with the idea of what we what to be when we were younger. There are many obstacles you have to overcome while growing up and pursuing your career in whatever field you choose to go into. This article will be steps of how to follow through with your big dreams.

1) Follow Your Heart

There may be things in life that your parents rather you do than your dreams. Your mom may be a doctor and your dad may be a lawyer and they would want you to follow up with one of the career fields that they are in. You on the other hand have had dreams of becoming a teacher. In all aspects, I believe that you should follow what your heart wants you to do. Your parents should want to believe in you and understand that you want to pursue your own dreams. They should support you in anything that you do whether its going against their thoughts. 

2) Research 

This is one of the best things to do when you are confused on what you want to be in the rest of your life. Look up all sources about your career to make sure that is really what you want to do in life. When you do your research, you should go into specific details on what this career actually does, the importance of it, its pros and cons,  and many other things that your career might have to offer. You may think this career might be what you really want to do and it’ll end up not being what you want to do after you research everything about this career that you’ve set your mind to this whole time.

3) Plan Your Career Out

When you are planning, you should make sure this career is really for you. You can foresee your career by looking at what type of setting you be in to get an idea of what you’lll wear, what your hour shift will be like, what type of work you’ll be doing, etc. With planning ahead of time, you will know what your job will be like but not overall until you actually start working at your desired career place. You can also look up your careers salary to be able to plan out your checks or divide up your money to see how you will distribute it evenly among everything that you have to get done.

4) Intern

This is another thing to look into when making sure that the career you chose is best for you and fits into your idea of what you always wanted to be. You will be able to get put in a position or shadow after someone who is doing the same thing that you want to do. Doing an internship can really show you if this job is really what you want to do in life or if you need to change your career. An internship neds to be an importnat thing that you look into when trying to decide your career. It will open up your thoughts on what your “dream job,” is really like.

My name is Aaliyah Thomas. I attend Valdosta State University and I am a junior studying Middle Grades Education. I like to sing and take pictures! I own a sunglasses business called Nia Shades Collection and this is my first year being in HerCampus!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.