This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I decided to pick a few women who I think helped black history. 

1. Rosa Parks 

She helped start the Montgomery Bus Boycott Movement. Ms. Parks stood her ground and showed us to never give up. 

2. Mary McLeod Bethune

She believed education was the way for African Americans to improve. She started Bethune-Cookman University a Historically Black University in Daytona Beach, Florida. She was also the president of NCNW and NACW.

Grown-ish
ABC Signature Studios

3. Philis Wheatley

She was one of the first African American women to publish a book of poetry. She showed that anything can be possible.

4. Katherine Johnson 

She helped launched the first American man into space. She was known as the “Human Computer”. She faced racial issues in and outside of the office.  She helped show that Black Women are just as smart. 

Photo by The New York Public Library

I picked a few out of many women that made a difference in black history. They influenced black history in major ways. I encourage you to look up more influential women yourself and to learn more about women in black history. 

Alyssha Floyd

Valdosta '22

Hey, my name is Alyssha Floyd. I love writing, and I am so happy to be apart of HER Campus! Fun fact I have a Youtube channel!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.