josh miller uEmuOgW44IQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
josh miller uEmuOgW44IQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Oscar Micheaux: The First African American Filmmaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Oscar Micheaux was the first African American filmmaker; he built his own production company and released his first film in 1919. He produced and directed his film “The Homesteader” which starred Evelyn Preer. Oscar was an author as well, and some of his films were based on his novels. From 1919-1948 he released 44 films in total and 7 novels.

Felicity Warner / HCM

Background 

Oscar was born in Illinois; he was one of many children in his family. His family decided to move to Kansas so he and his siblings could have a better life and education. When his parents had financial issues, they were forced to go back to their old life. Oscar wasn’t too happy with these decisions and became rebellious. He moved in his with his brother at 17 in Chicago but became dissatisfied with his lifestyle and decided to be on his own. Things did become difficult for him after that: he had to work many jobs. Fast forward, he moved to South Dakota to be a homesteader, a lifestyle which later became an inspiration for his novels and films.

Oscar gained so much respect for his films, and many were played in “white theaters.” He was known for making his characters complex with different backgrounds that surpassed stereotypes.

Unfortunately, Oscar died while on a business trip in North Carolina due to heart failure. Due to his success and confidence, he broke a barrier in the film industry for African American directors and future directors of today.

Felicity Warner / HCM
Hope you enjoyed my article! HCXO!

Mashawna Small

Valdosta '23

Hi, I'm Mashawna and I'm from Savannah.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.