This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

In recent years you may have noticed the new women’s prisons shows that seem to have taken us all by a storm. With Netflix being such a popular place to find things to watch, I would definitely have to suggest these two. Although you may think that two shows about women in prison have to be somewhat similar, you’d be surprised just how many differences they have. Here are some ways these two vary and more reason to binge watch them both!

American vs. Australian

While one (Orange is the new Black) is set in America, the other (Wentworth) is set in Australia. It’s not just the accents that are different either. Everything from slang to mannerisms completely differ. Plus, in Australia women are able to keep their babies and children with them while they’re incarcerated. So that’s something different, the occasional child amongst the madness.

Lighthearted vs. Serious

Orange Is The New Black starts off from the very beginning as a show that is meant to make you laugh. All the blunders and mistakes Piper makes are more so on the generally funny side. On the other hand, Wentworth has a ton of serious moments from the very beginning.

Head Mistresss Feuds

In Orange Is The New Black for the most part there was either one person who ruled the prison or no person. Although they definitely had feuds over leadership, it’ll never compare to the feuds on Wentworth. The women on Wentworth took being the queen bee (or queen jailbird, shall I say?) a lot more serious.

Well, the difference in colors of course

I feel as if one of the most important things to point out that is a significant difference between the two shows is the difference in color of outfits. In OITNB they were orange (of course) and in Wentworth they wear turquoise (weird, I know). Although constantly seeing people in the same clothes in each episode is not normal, you get used to it. All in all these are two very great shows.

HCXO!

Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.