An Ode to the Real First Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The November 2015 issue of Cosmopolitan magazine features the Kardashian/Jenner family and in big bold print, they are called “America’s First Family”. There are numerous reasons why this was a big mistake on Cosmo’s part, but the biggest of them all is that we already have a legitimate First Family in the White House right now! President Barack, First Lady Michelle, Sasha, and Malia Obama have been completely overlooked.

While the Kardashian-Jenner clan has been very successful in their reality TV show, Keeping Up With The Kardashians (and the various spin-offs), this doesn’t constitute them receiving such a title. Entertainment’s First Family? Maybe they could be great contenders for that label. But are they what America signifies? Not at all. Their entire series revolves around scandal, greed, and drama. Personally, I would rather not have their faces be the symbol for our country to be looked at by other countries. I admit that they can be entertaining, but their family should not be considered The First Family. They are not found relateable by the majority of the residents of the U.S.A., if anything, we drool over their lifestyle.

In order to claim that label you should: first and foremost, be in the white house; second, have a stance on the issues that matter—preferably all of the issues and not just the ones that have affected you personally; and last, but not least, carry yourself in a way that is both respectable and admirable.

Besides their fame from television, what have they really done to deserve to represent America?

Even if you take the political factor away from the Obama’s, they still have a lot going for them as a unit. Barack Obama is known for his personable attitude, his wife is known for her wisdom and proactivity, and their kids have grown up right before all of our eyes yet they manage to stay out of the public eye. Whether they are seen in the news or in photographs, you can see the love shared among them. Honestly, they look inviting and put off such genuine vibes. Those kinds of things cannot be staged. No family is perfect. I’m sure if we looked closely, we could find some flaw about our true First Family to pick apart, but that is not the point. Shoutout to the POTUS and his family for simply being real.

The point is that Cosmopolitan did something that our country is already too comfortable with doing—they highlighted the popular choice rather than the meritorious choice. Note to Cosmopolitan’s editorial team: #DoBetter

HCXO!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.