sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Life has a funny way of teaching us lessons. Sometimes when we think we’re being our true authentic selves, we experience a life changing lesson that teaches us otherwise. Growing up and discovering who you are can be hard. Especially, when your environment is always changing. This can cause us to lose sight of who we truly are. 

When you realized that the person that you are is not who you truly are deep down, it can be hard to accept that and come to realization about. I know this because I experienced it first hand. With my personal experience, I remember feeling this dark cloud following everywhere. It’s almost as if I knew I wasn’t happy with the way I was, but refused to make a change only because I was scared. I was scared of losing people and scared of the new people I would attract in life. Finally, I said, “enough is enough”. I was sick of being the shy, quiet person that I was so I took it upon myself to come to the realization that this is not who I was meant to be. I took it upon myself to imagine the person that I wanted to be, and finally I worked hard to achieve to truly be that person. Up until this day, I am still working on myself, but I can say that I am slowly but surely reaching the person that I want to be.There are three major steps you can take to navigate through this major turning point in your life: Being Honest, creating the Person you want to be, and working towards being that person.

1. Being Honest

During this first step the rules are as simple as day, be honest. When I say that, I mean be honest with yourself in the fact that you are not who you truly are or at least who you want to be. Think about the person you are and how it has affect your past behavior. Observe the relationships you have with people, observe your day to day life, and take note of everything that you wish you could change about yourself. When going through this step, it can be emotional, and sometimes feelings of denial may come up, but it . is important to remain truthful to your self about the person you have been for longest.

2. Creating the Person you want to be.

I like to think that this can be the fun part of this journey because in a way, it’s just like shopping in the mall. In this step is where you identify you strengths and your weaknesses. With your strengths and your weaknesses, you will learn to maintain your strengths and build up your weaknesses. While it can be fun at sometimes, there are some challenges to it because as you begin to see what you need to work on you may feel nervous for th journey up ahead. Also you maybe be having this internal battle on whether you should just start completely over or work on the characteristics you already have. It can be challenging to balance it all, but it helps if you keep our eyes on the prize, and remember that this is all for you and your hopes of becoming a new and improved person.

3. Working Towards being a Better Person.

This is last of the challenging journey, and while you make feel like you’ve done so much work already. The real work has just begun. This is the hardest part of this process only because it’s a matter of maintaining the track you are on to becoming a better person. In this stage of your journey, you will have multiple setbacks, but the goal is to keep pushing and keep in mind of the person you want to be. You will cry, you will laugh, and you may even lose some people along the way, but the goal is keep going so you can ultimately live the life you want being the person you truly are. Throughout this time, it helps keeping a journal or something that helps you express your feelings, and log how far you come.

This journey isn’t easy and only the strong survive. Life was never meant to be easy. Life was meant to be challenging and have many ups and down, and going through this is many of challenges you face. Sometimes people may not understand what your going through, and laugh when you express their weaknesses to them, but that’s a sign that they’re not meant to be a part of your new life. Sometimes, we go through this things to open our minds. There’s always a bigger picture when it comes to starting over or creating something new. You never want to live a life with regret so if you feel the need to change, then do so. Not for your parents, not for your friends, not for the people on social media, but for you. 

Kylah Gilbert

Valdosta '20

My name is Kylah Gilbert. I am a 20 year old Juniorish at Valdosta State University. My writing is an insight to who I am as a person. So welcome to me as a person.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.