Natural Hair Girls: Kinky Curly Hair Line Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Curly hair girls! Have you ever walked through the drugstore and noticed the line of Kinky-Curly hair products? The Kinky-Curly is a haven for curly haired girls. No petroleums, silicones, plastics, alcohol, wax parabens or acrylics. The cost of some of Kinky-Curly may draw you away but this line is way worth the shot, not to mention they smell great! 

Come Clean: Yes

This is the perfect clarifying shampoo for all types of curly hair. A sulfate-free shampoo that lathers? What?! The phytic acid removes build up that’s left in hair from hard water, and the mandarin orange extract also smells amazing. Washing your curls every day is damaging, but this shampoo is gentle enough to use every time you wash!

Downfall: The bottle is tiny! A coke can is bigger! The bottle may not last you as long as you’d hope, espeically for girls with thicker hair.

Curl Types: All

Ingredients: purified water, organic mandarin orange fruit, organic marigold flower, organic white willow bark, organic sea kelp, c14-16 olefin, sulfonate and cocamidopropyl betaine (coconut derived), phytic acid, citric acid, sea salt, phenoxyethanol, natural fragrance

Smells like: A citrus paradise! 

Price: $12.00 for 8 fl oz 

Knot Today: Yes

If you don’t try anything else from this line, try this conditioner! Made out of herbal goodness, this product is versatile for all curly hair types. The label says detangler, but this is one of the best rinse conditioners I’ve ever used! It works great as a leave-in conditioner or to get knots out before combing your hair. Tangles practically disappear, leaving your hair super soft and frizz-free. 

Downfall: Like the shampoo, this bottle runs out fast. Maybe its because it can be used as a conditioner after you shampoo and a detangler/prep for styling, but the bottle goes by quickly. 

Curl Types: All (if used as a detangler); depending on the porosity of your hair, make sure to only use a small amount (start out dime size)

All (if used as a rinse conditioner)

3A to 4B hair (if used as a leave-in)

Ingredients: organic mango fruit extract, organic slippery elm, organic marshmallow root, organic lemongrass, cetyl alcohol, behentrimonium methosulfate, citric acid, phenoxyethanol and natural fragrance

Smells like: A passion fruit lemonade!

Price: $12.00

Curling Custard: Yes and No

This is probably the most frustrating product out of the line, only because you have to use the other products listed in order for it to really work. The custard is not a gel or a mousse! It’s a gooey substance that you apply to wet hair. When you figure out how it works best on your hair, however, it will give you the most beautiful, frizz-free, defined, soft curls! A small amount of the custard goes on right after applying Knot Today leave-in conditioner on wet hair. After your hair dries, be sure to diffuse to add volume and bounce! Diffusing will also take away any crunchiness if too much product is applied. 

Downfall: If you don’t use the clarifying shampoo, you might get white residue left in your hair when it dries. Also, the drying time is extended so long after applying this! It’s probably because, unlike other products, it doesn’t contain any alcohols or silicones to dry it out.

Another downfall for this product is that it’s kind of complicated. You might have to play around with how you style your curls if you want to achieve perfection. It’s also the priciest of all the products!

Curl Types: 3A to 4B 

Ingredients: botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

Smells like: Vanilla & marshmallows 

Price: $29.99

Spiral Spritz: Yes

The Spiral Spirtz is labeled as a 2nd-day spray or a light weight alternative to curly hair girls with finer or wavy hair for silicone based serums. It’s meant to reactivate curls on either wet or dry hair to eliminate frizz and add shine. I’ve found that this product works best when you spray it on your hair, then apply it through your hair as a styling serum. It will give you gorgeous, beach soft waves! This is the lighter alternative to the curling custard, giving waves frizz-free definition without weighing them down. 

Downfall: This product gives great definition, but lacks volume. It creates beautiful waves but you might have to diffuse your hair with hairspray to give thin hair a boost. Also, the bottle is terrible. It would be more convenient if it was made into a pump instead of a spray bottle. 

Curl Types: 2A – 3A 

Ingredients: lavender water, extracts of horsetail, nettles and sage, aloe vera gel, vitamin b-5, glycerin, citric acid, and grapefruit seed extract

Smells like: Lavender fields 

Price: $12.99 for 8 fl oz 

Her Campus at Valdosta State.