jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Natural Hair Girls: How to Transition Your Hair From Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Now that October is here, cooler temperatures are soon to follow. With the leaves changing, hot tea in your favorite mug, and colder air approaching, there should be minor tweaks to your hair routine as well. With the sun not shining as bright and humidity tampering with perfect braid outs, a few adjustments will help your hair thrive in the upcoming months of autumn bliss!

For the cooler weather that we Valdosta girls get in October and November, paying attention to the amount of moisture you put in your hair is important. Because the humidity levels aren’t as high, you can lessen the amount of moisture you put into your hair. Temperatures in the 60s are perfect for twist and braid outs because of the lack of heat and humidity in the atmosphere.

In the fall when weather is too cool or too hot, light oils and moisturizers are optimal so you don’t pack your hair down or expose your hair to the elements. Oils such as jojoba and grapeseed oil are lightweight but still great at sealing in moisture. Just like in the summer, make sure to pay attention to your ends but also moisturize your hair regularly so you don’t suffer from dry or brittle hair.

Luckily it doesn’t stay cold in Valdosta for too long, but for those weeks in late November and early December, your hair regimen may need another slight tweak. Heavier creams, oils, and sealants should be added to your roster of products. Because there will be no humidity at all and the air will be drier, your hair will be more susceptible to damage due to exposure. So, if getting a protective style or even a wig isn’t in the plans for you, adding TLC to your hair is crucial.

Castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, aloe vera juice and, my personal favorite, African Shea Butter are just a few things you can use to seal your hair and add moisture for those chilly days. Even if you decide to rock your hair in a turban, wrap, or beanie, make sure to cover your hair with a silk bonnet or wrap to help seal moisture from those heavy fabrics.

We all know that clothes get comfier and cuter as the weather cools down with oversized sweaters, infinity scarves and boyfriend jeans. So there is no reason why our hair can’t thrive with the weather change as well! No matter the time of year, loving and caring for your hair is always the key. And who says you can’t look amazing while doing it?! HCXO

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.