Life, Love & College: The Confusing Time It’s Not Okay To Settle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

So there’s a guy who likes you a lot. He’s as sweet as ever, and all of your friends think he’s perfect. He buys you flowers, calls you every night and maybe even cooks for you. However, you simply can’t get into him like that.

All of your friends think you’re crazy for not wanting to talk to him. Sure, he’s a little on the shorter side, may come on too strong at times and has the most annoying laugh ever, but he treats you so well! Why does all of that matter?

The truth is, it does. I do believe there’s such a thing as being “too picky,” but if the feelings aren’t there, then they aren’t there. You may be telling yourself to force it because he treats you like a queen, but more than likely, he treats you this way so early on in spite of the fact that you don’t really like him. He’s trying to win your heart. If it’s not working, then you’re not doing him much of a favor by sticking around.

Sometimes you grow to like someone: that crooked smile becomes the cutest thing you ever did see. However, feelings cannot be forced. If you like it when he makes you breakfast, but squirm every time he reaches for a kiss, you’re playing this guy. Holding onto him because of his chivalry isn’t going to change the way you feel about him. All you’re doing is hindering him from finding a girl whom he will have better chemistry with.

Unrequited love sucks, even for the person who can’t return it. I know you don’t want to hurt him, but it wasn’t your choice to lack feelings for this guy. We all know we don’t have much control over our emotions; if you could snap your fingers and make feelings for him magically appear, you probably would.

Someone else out there will also treat you like the queen you are, and you won’t scrunch your nose up every time he tells you how he feels about you. Of course you’re going to miss all of the great things this current guy does for you, but the most selfless thing to do is to let it go. Since you can’t give him all of you, save him the hurt and yourself the guilt later. You’re not the only one who deserves the best here.

President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Valdosta State, and a Mass Media major. Loves spaghetti and is currently waiting for someone to teach her how to play her guitar. Never meets a stranger. Hi :)