Life, Love & College: 5 Ways To Take Control of Your Love Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Things can be frustrating after a failed reationship. The road may look tough but it’s definitely not the end. Don’t waste time blaming your previous partners and dwellling on failed relationships; instead, take charge!

1. Know your worth: You must first love yourself enough to realize that you deserve the best. Understand that no one has the right to cheat you out of what you deserve. Every girl deserves to be treated like the princess she is. Remember to never allow someone to belittle you or make you feel as if you are worthless! Love yourself enough to know what love really is.

2. Don’t settle: You know what you are looking for and it is your job to get it. Don’t allow yourself to aim lower or be with someone who doesn’t meet your standards. This will never go well, and you will never be truly happy. Get what you want out of a partner, not just what’s convenient.

3. Don’t base your newfound interests off of your exes: This is extremely important. Not everyone is the same, and if you are constanly comparing others to your ex you will never find someone. There is a reason that your past partners are no longer your partners! Don’t go into a new relationship expecting the worst; it’s not fair to your new partner at all. The whole idea of moving on is to have a new experience, so prepare yourself for that.

4. Leave your baggage behind: In order to fully take control you need to give yourself complete authority. Spending time reminiscing on what once was means that your ex/past relationship still has power over you. Understand that there is a reason why things did not work out and that’s just the way things played out.

5. Don’t look, let love find you: You don’t have to be on a search for someone new. Don’t force things, it’s okay to be alone for awhile. Being alone can give you time to find yourself, focus on school, and make more time for your friends. Sometimes the best relationships are the ones that are unexpected!

Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk
Her Campus at Valdosta State.