This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

If you’re a 90s baby then you’re familiar with the girl group, The Spice Girls. When they were at the height of their popularity I didn’t pay much attention to them, but that’s probably because I had a short attention span. I just thought they were all wild and pretty. I didn’t really start truly listening to their songs until August of this year and I realized how late I was. That’s when I finally realized why they were so popular. They were so fun and funky and their different personalities had shined through each song they sang. I think what I like the most about them is that their songs had great meanings to them that taught me some stuff about life. Here are some lyrics from some of The Spice Girls’ songs that taught me some lessons in my life.

1. “Easy V doesn’t come for free, she’s a real lady”

Song: Wannabe

Victoria Beckham, aka Posh Spice, is and will always be my favorite spice girl. Victoria taught me real ladies don’t come for free, I mean look at her husband! David Beckham, duh!

2.  “I’m giving you everything all that joy can bring this I swear. And all that I want from you is a promise you will be there”

Song: Say You’ll Be There

If I’m giving a guy EVERYTHING he BETTER be there for me. I can easily take that joy away and leave a boy crying (I promise I’m not heartless).

3.  “Do you think I’m really cool and sexy and I know you wanna get with me”

Song: Last Time Lover

Cool? Check. Sexy? Check. So basically every guy wants to get with me! Makes sense.

4.  “If you can’t dance to this you can’t do nothing for me baby”

Song: If U Can’t Dance

If you can’t dance, keep it movin’. Simple. I heard this saying that if a guy is a bad dancer, you already know he’s bad in the bedroom.

5.  “Stop right now. Thank you very much. I need somebody with the human touch. Hey you, you always on the run. Gotta slow down baby, got have some fun”

Song: Stop

Don’t rush through life, enjoy every second of it and have some fun.

6. “Too much of something is bad enough. But something’s coming over me to make me wonder. Too much of nothing is just as tough. I need to know the way to feel to keep me satisfied”

Song: Too Much

I need the right amount of love. Not too much to the point where you suffocate me, but not too little to the point where I feel like I’m not in a relationship. These days you can only get one or the other. Luckily for me I have a boyfriend who gives me just enough. Not too little and not too much.

7. “Who cares what they say, because the rules are for breaking. Who made them anyway”

Song: Do It

It’s encouraging lyrics like this that make me proud that I am a feminist. I will not be placed in a box just because I am a female. We live in the 21st century and women can do whatever the hell they want!

HCXO!

I'm Jessie Thomas, a junior in college. I'm a fun loving girl who loves music and fashion! Someday I hope to be successful in the entertainment industry.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.