Knowing When to Cut Ties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Life is all about progress. Every move in life is toward the next milestone and opportunity. There are times where we may feel like we need to leave a situation, friendship or relationship. We outweight the pros and cons of leaving and sometimes feel stuck. It may be hard to decipher when it’s time to move on from something or someone but here are a few instances where it’s definitely time to cut ties and move forward.

Your growth is being stunted

If you feel like you’re not moving forward or able to grow in your current situation then it is time to leave. If it’s a job, you should be able to improve your skills—if you feel like you have taken advantage of every opportunity then it is time to find something new. Maybe even find something challenging. If it’s in terms of a friendship or relationship: if you want to better yourself, but find that the people you are surrounding yourself with are trying to stop or discourage you—then it’s time to go.

You’re giving more than you’re taking

Most situations need to be 50/50. If the other party is benefiting and you’re not, it’s time to go. If you’re not getting anything that you want out of a situation then it is time to leave it. If you’re job isn’t meeting you half way or giving you the treatment that you deserve then it may be time to leave. If you feel like a friendship or relationship is taking more out of you than giving you in return then that isn’t fair to you.

You aren’t happy

If something or someone is consistently making you miserable, then it’s time to let it go. There will always be tough times, but if everyday is spent in misery then step back from it and reevaluate your choices. Life is too short to spend every single day unhappy. If bad days are more frequent than good, it’s time to cut ties.

You’re not stable

Stability is essential. If your situation is not consistent that can cause unnecessary stress that you need to cut from your life. On-and-off relationships and friendships aren’t worth having. If your job offers you no stability then you may want to find something that gives you that.

It’s important to know when it’s time to leave a situation. Holding onto things for too long can waste precious time and energy. Be sure to cut ties when it’s necessary.

HCXO.  

Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk