Kim Kardashian’s Nude Selfie: Wrong or Right?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The definition of a feminist is someone who believes in the political, social, and economic equality of both sexes. But do all feminists share the same views and values? There’s usually one big topic that separates one feminist from another, and that is: representation of a woman when it comes to her sexuality.

Not too long ago Kim Kardashian posted a nude selfie (blocking her boobs and her vagina) to Instagram. Lots of people were not having it claiming it was inappropriate for her to be posting pictures of herself where she’s basically naked when she’s married and has children. Some people who were not a fan of Kim’s selfie were Bette Midler and Chloe Grace Moretz. Midler made a joke about Kardashian’s selfie tweeting, “Kim Kardashian tweeted a nude selfie today. If Kim wants us to see a part of her we’ve never seen, she’s gonna have to swallow the camera.

Moretz expressed her disapproval for Kardashian’s selfie tweeting, “@KimKardashian I truly hope you realize how important setting goals are for young women, teaching them we have so much to offer than just our bodies.

After receiving criticism, people including Bella Thorne and Ariel Winter came to her defense. Bella Thorne tweeted, “@chloemoretz_ @KimKardashian I think every woman should be allowed to make their own choices with their OWN bodies… and it’s not our place to tell them what they can and can’t do with their body”.

Ariel Winter offered up a couple of tweets including, “No one was body shaming @justinbieber when he posted his nude guitar photo so why @KimKardashian? #herbodyherchoice” and “I think everyone, men and women, should have the right to choose what they do with their bodies – and not be criticized.”

Kim Kardashian went on to defend herself for her nude selfie in a open letter on her website saying, “I am empowered by my body. I am empowered by my sexuality. I am empowered by feeling comfortable in my own skin.” She concluded the letter by saying, “I am a mother. I am a wife, a sister, a daughter, an entrepreneur and I am allowed to be sexy.

So was Kim K wrong for posting a nude selfie? The answer to this question is….

Being a feminist myself, I’m all for Kim’s nude selfie. Not that posting nude selfies is my style, but the fact that a woman feels empowered by her own body. I’m all for being modest and that empowers me. When a woman feels empowered, it is the greatest feeling in the world. 

I'm Jessie Thomas, a junior in college. I'm a fun loving girl who loves music and fashion! Someday I hope to be successful in the entertainment industry.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.