This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

For students at Valdosta State, taking weekend road trips is a must! Sometimes we need a little break from the classes and the small city to get out, relax, and have some fun! Jacksonville, Florida is a destination hot spot for a lot of VSU students and with good reason: it’s about an hour and a half away with plenty of attractions and most importantly, the beach! Here are some affordable, fun things to do in Jacksonville for a day or weekend trip!

Jacksonville Beach

Jacksonville Beach is very beautiful. With the scenery, including all of the water activities available, you’ll have plenty of fun on the beach with your girls or significant other!

Riverside Arts Market:

Every Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm, Jacksonville sets up a venue right off the beachfront where vendors show and sell their paintings, art, and jewelry. The Riverside Arts market offers a different experience every time, offering entertainment from street performers to belly dancers! On the River Stage, popular national and local artists perform and show their talent! They also have a farmers market available with fresh fruit and produce. With something unique every weekend, you’ll have a great time!

Art Museums and Jacksonville Zoo:

For those of you who like attractions and sightseeing, Jacksonville offers a Museum of Contemporary Art, a Museum of Science and History, and the Jacksonville Zoo with over 2,000 rare and exotic animals!

Shopping and Dining:

St. Johns Town Center is located off of J. Turner Butler Blvd on Jacksonville’s Southside. Here are over 150 shopping stores and your favorite, well-known dining spots like The Cheesecake Factory, J. Alexander’s, Maggiano’s and PF Changs. Also, The Avenues includes H&M, Charming Charlie’s, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Ann Taylor. It’s located right off of Interstate 95 on Phillips Highway and Southside Blvd!

Autobahn Indoor Speedway:

For the big kids out there, there are some recreational and fun sports for you to try out. The indoor speedway is European style indoor go-karting. They have two Grand Prix style tracks and karts that reach speeds up to 50 mph!

Have fun, collegiettes! HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.