It’s Over: Hip Hop Groups We Wish Never Broke Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Over the years we have seen some of the best groups to come out with rhymes, swagger, and punch. They’re each other’s hype man, partner, and best friend at times. In the light, it looks like everything is flowing. Maybe it was beef, maybe it was a fallout. Nonetheless, it came to an end. Let’s reminisce and look at some iconic collabs, trios, and partners we wish never parted ways.

A Tribe Called Quest 

Q-Tip, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Phife Dawg, and Jarobi, collectively known as A Tribe Called Quest, has to be an all-time favorite for many hip hop heads. This group made an impact on hip-hop in many ways. Tribe split up in the late 90s, and have made efforts on coming back together as a unit. Unfortunately, the group lost a member and one of the illest MC’s Phife Dawg in early 2016 to medical complications. They recently released their farewell album after 18 years past their split up.

Junior M.A.F.I.A.

This group rose to the top alongside MC Notorious BIG in the the 1990’s. It wouldn’t be long before everyone drew their attention to the blunt and stylish female emcee Lil Kim. After the death of Biggie, the group struggled to stay together. They broke up and pursued  solo careers. 

Tupac and Biggie

Everyone on earth knows how iconic this collab was. As the east coast and west coast collide in music, Pac and Biggie had it all worked out. An alleged set up against Tupac by Biggie led to the biggest and most controversial split in hip hop history. This, later on, led to the death of both stars, gunned down a year apart. 

NWA

This west coast hip hop group reigned with attitude and swagger. The group was founded in 1986 by hip-hop protege Dr. Dre, along with Eazy-E, Ice Cube, Arabian Prince, and DJ Yella. They released their notable “Straight Outta Compton” album that brought gangsta rap to light. Ice Cube left the group soon after to pursue his solo career, and the group went on without him. The split up of the entire group led to member perusing successful solo careers. 

The Fugees 

When reggae and hip-hop collide, we get the untouchable Fugees. Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean, Pras Michel came to the hip-hop scene in the early 1990s, with heavily influenced island and reggae undertones in their music. Their second album “The Score”  became one of the most influential albums of all time. The group parted in 1997, but have made reunions ever so often.

Eric B. & Rakim 

Had to take everyone back on this one. Some of us might be too young to know about this duo, but they mean so much. With Eric B on the tables and Rakim on the mic, this is easily one of the pioneers of duos to ever exist. Who could forget “Know the Ledge”, “Don’t Sweat the Technique”, and “Paid in Full”? After the release of their “Don’t Sweat the Technique” album, the group parted due to record label issues. 

These groups have all made a powerful impact on music and it shows even in today’s rhymes. The majority of these groups still unite on stage for the fans and old times sake. Though their music is timeless, we miss them in unison dearly. 

HCXO

Just your unaverage aspiring writer
Her Campus at Valdosta State.