This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

One of those days, you are dealing with setbacks or you feel like you stuck in a loop? Do you know the saying, “if it’s not one thing then it’s another”? Then you cannot seem to find the good in anything. If you do then it would seem to only last a mere second until you fall into your depression. You can find yourself beating yourself over the smallest error and feel that you are going nowhere. Also, you may look around and noticed the world moving, yet you feel stuck. The world seems it has everything together, but your world may seem like it is falling apart. Afterward, you may try to pick up the pieces and hold it together, but nothing would seem like it is working. However, you can try to hide behind the fake smile, but inside you’re screaming, and you are fighting the battle alone. Therefore, the longer you hold it in, the heavier your world seems to become. I am here to tell you, it is okay to not be okay.

Silhouette of two people
Photo by Tori Wise from Unsplash

We lie to ourselves sometimes.

Realization is important as well being honest with yourself. The fact of realizing to yourself that it is okay not to be okay, you first must own it! Believe it! You must understand that you can be your own worst enemy. When you have accepted what you are feeling is natural then it is okay to feel sad at some points in your life. So you can truly move forward to the healing process. But this does not mean it is going to be easy. It takes some trials and errors. If you have problems with believing it is okay to not be okay then think about this scenario. Just picture the person you love the most, someone you will protect without thinking twice about it. Now, create an image of the person you love the most and willing to protect at all costs. Now, picture that person is you. Would you feel they deserve to feel the way they feel if you were standing in their shoes? Would you allow yourself to fight the battle alone? You may probably answer no to both of those questions. Meaning you can no longer be your worst enemy during rough times you may be facing.

Two Women on Balcony
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Forgiving yourself and moving forward.

When you develop negative thoughts, then you need to learn how to replace those thoughts with new positive thinking. Try to remind yourself that you are forgiven and no longer have room for past harmful thinking habits you once allowed.  If you are not able to create positive thoughts, then do not feel like a failure and remember that it is okay to have these feelings at the time, and you are in control of your thoughts. Communicating with others can help control negative thoughts or how you resolve those negative thoughts. If you have no one to talk with at the moment, then there are other options, such as read a book, listen to music, go for a run, or walking. Once you have learned that your feelings are normal, then it is okay to have a moment but do not allow yourself to stay and dwell on those feelings because it can cause a deep depression. Dealing with depression is not an overnight thing. You might experience some setbacks but remember to take it one day at a time and achieve your personal mental health goals. You will one day see that it is okay not to be okay.

Smiley face on the street
Photo by Jacqueline Munguia from Unsplash

Bonny is a transfer student from Georgia Military College, having obtained her associates degree in communication science in Summer 2020. She then transferred to Valdosta State in Fall 2020. She is now a mass media major in her junior year, looking to experience media like she never dreamed of! Bonny's hope that someday her work reaches you and many more.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.