Interview Ready: 4 Wardrobe Essentials for Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

All college students know—or should know—that the ultimate goal of going to school and hopefully graduating is to land your dream job! In order to do that, you must always be prepared to network and send in a resume that could potentially lead to an interview for a job or an internship. For many of us, our go-to outfit for class, and sometimes for bed, could include a t-shirt and a nice pair of comfy sweat pants. But this isn’t the outfit that you want to wear when trying to make a good impression on potential employers. Shopping for professional outfits can be expensive, but there are a few closet essentials that every college student should own when it comes to dressing for interviews. While the rules of what is considered “job attire” constantly changes, there are some clothing items that never seem to go out of style. Here’s a few items that you should have in your closet, and if you don’t have them, you should get them ASAP!

Solid Color, Self-tie Harem Pants, Sammy Dress $10.27

Black pants or skirts are basic building blocks for any interview outfit. Black can go with pretty much any color. These two items are essential parts of creating the sleek “business” look. Pants shouldn’t be skin tight and revealing, and neither should your skirt. Skirts should be no higher than two inches above the knee, and slits in the skirt shouldn’t creep too far up your thigh. It’s good to have at least one of these items on hand in black or even dark blue.

H&M Long-Sleeved Blouse, $25

Every good skirt or pair of business pants deserves a nice button up or blouse. If you decide to go with a solid black bottom, you can play around with different colors for your top. Depending on the job you’re applying for, you may want to avoid extremely bright colors or crazy patterns, especially if you think that it could take away from your interview. Pastels and dark colored tops can still give you a stylish edge without being too extreme. As mentioned above with the skirts and pants, make sure your tops are not too tight or revealing.

H&M Pumps, $40

No interview outfit is complete without a cute pair of heels or flats. You can’t walk with confidence without them! A solid colored pair of heels are a nice endpoint to a business wardrobe. If you really want to stand out, you can keep your top and bottoms a basic color like black or white and add a splash of color with your shoes. An appropriate height for heels is about three inches, not to mention it is the best way to avoid aching feet later on. If you’re not a huge fan of heels at all, a pair of cute flats can still help you walk with poise and command the attention that you deserve!

Crystal Earrings and Ring, H&M $25

While some people may believe that jewelry is probably the least significant aspect of dressing for an interview, accessories are an important part of the business wardrobe. However, less is usually more when it comes to accessorizing. You don’t want to have anything on that dangles too much, is too chunky, or makes a lot of noise. A cute pair of studs, a small bracelet or watch, and a simple necklace are enough to do up any interview outfit. You can also wear a ring, but try to avoid wearing more than two.

Hopefully, you’ve found these tips to be helpful and remember them the next time you are looking for an interview outfit. The overall lesson—you don’t have to break the bank to look nice, a few of these closet essentials will do. After all, the most important things for you to bring to an interview are confidence and a smile. 

Hey lovelies! I am a junior Mass Media major at Valdosta State University. I love writing, fashion and hair, and dancing and singing in the mirror!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.