This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

“I don’t want to be thought of as the ‘girl who was shot by the Taliban,’ but the ‘girl who fought for education.’ This is the cause to which I want to devote my life.” These are words from the newest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, Malala Yousafzai. At the age of 17, she’s the youngest person in any category to ever win for her advocacy of education rights for girls. 

Malala is a native of Pakistan where the Taliban is currently restricting young girls from going to school. She says, “Education is very important and education is the power for women. That’s why the terrorists are afraid of education. They do not want women to get education because then women would become more powerful.”

As a result of her public advocacy, the Taliban issued a threat against her life. In 2012, Malala continued to go to school despite the ban until she was gunned down and shot in the head by a member of the Taliban, but even an attempt on Malala’s life couldn’t scare her away. 

The shooting gained so much recognition that Malala became known by many news publications as “the most famous teenager in the world.” Her supporters started a protest using the slogan, “I AM MALALA.” Because of her relentless efforts, Malala is not only the winner of the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize, but she also received 2013 Glamour‘s Woman of the Year, Pakistan’s first National Youth Peace Prize, and 35 other national and international honors. She was even featured on Time‘s cover as one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World.

Malala can also add “author” to her résumé. In 2013, she wrote an autobiography: I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

Malala is still seen as a threat to the Taliban, but that’s not stopping her from continuing her advocacy. She even dares to say she believes that women are more powerful than men. After hearing her story, we can’t say that we disagree. Get familiar with this face, name, and voice as an inspiration for young girls everywhere to speak up and remember, “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” Thank you, Malala!

HCXO

Her Campus at Valdosta State.