This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I love my blackness and yours.

I can recall a time in fourth grade, where our teacher had us write about anything we wanted to. It was to no surprise that my main topic of choice were black abolitionists and leaders of the civil rights era. Over the course of my elementary school years, I dedicated every writing assignment or book report to a fellow African American. My teacher told me “It shows that you take pride in your culture.”. I couldn’t help but to agree. 

If you ask any African American what they love the most about being black, they probably wouldn’t know where to start. Some might mention the come up from slavery, our versatility, vernacular, food, hair, music, full lips or simply everything. I can’t help but to love being black. I find delight in every aspect of my culture. We are the offspring of kings and queens. Being black is like being the rhytmn to a song; what’s a song without rhythm? In a nutshell, we are everything.

Society often tells us that it’s problematic to be “ethnocentric”, saying that “pro black” translates to “anti white”. Me appreciating my culture is exactly that. I feel as though everyone should be proud of who they are, not matter where you come from. After all, you have to live with this identity for the rest of your life. Patriotism is widely accepted, but when I or other African Americans choose to be afrocentric, it becomes “racist” or “offensive”. I don’t find my afrocentricity as anti-patriotic. Black Americans have dedicated a lot to American history, even though it is rarely credited. 

Now more than ever, being black in America has become a fashion statement, a wrongful death, and another hashtag. There are times where I find that being black can be challenging. It almost seems like people are dying because of their race. I want to tell my people that we can’t give up. We will over come all odds like we have in the past, despite the obsticles we may encounter. We are more than your favorite rapper, celebrity, or athlete. We are kings and queens in the making. In the words of DeRay McKesson, I love my blackness and yours. 

-HCXO!

Just your unaverage aspiring writer
Her Campus at Valdosta State.