Wellness > Health

How to Practice Safe Sex: Back to College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Adults have sex; it’s nothing secretive. However, if you are going to have sex, you should be a responsible adult. Protected sex is adulting! You are starting a new school year and are bound to come across fresh meat on campus. These days it seems like everyone is hooking up. However, if you plan to be sexually active, be thoughtful on how to keep it safe.

There are so many young adults out there that do not know their health status. Sadly, it’s true because some people just don’t care, and others are scared to check their health status. Make sure you are not among those careless young adults. Not preaching, but be responsible if you’re going to have an active sex life. If you’re not responsible enough to keep in mind your own health or partner’s health, you are not ready to have an active sex life. If you’re not having protected sex, stop putting your life and others at risk.

If you are not sure how to protect yourself, your first step is to learn more about how to practice safe sex. There are many protective methods to choose from when you’re sexually active. Keep reading for tips to practice safe sex, especially when going back to college.

Abstinence From Sex

Everyone knows the best protected sex is no sex. Abstinence is the number one method that is a 100% effective way to have “protected sex.” Abstinence protects you from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) or unplanned pregnancies. It not only protects you from these things, but there are benefits as well. These benefits include waiting until you find the right person to have a sexual relationship with, and focusing on important things like schoolwork, yourself, or building healthy relationships. What is gained from abstinence can make good changes in your life. It’s all about figuring out what you really want at the end of the day. 

Wear Protection

The male condom is a common form of protection. Ladies don’t feel left out, there’s even a female condom. So, no excuses for unprotected sex!  When you wear a condom, you are lowering your chance of catching or spreading an STD with your partner. When you use a condom, make sure to use it correctly. Just because you use a condom does not mean you are protected. You have to inspect the condom and make sure that there are no holes. Also, make sure the condom is placed correctly in the designated area. Many people don’t think to check the expiration date on condoms; make sure the expiration date has not passed. Condoms do expire! And finally, never use a used condom. It’s no longer sanitary, and once it has already been used, it no longer fully protects. 

Find Other Ways To Be Intimate

Everything in a healthy relationship is not about having sexual intercourse. In the moment your body may feel like it wants or needs sexual release, but there are many ways to please your partner or yourself. There are many ways to be intimate, such as holding hands, kissing, or masturbation. Sometimes sex is overrated. You may think that you are longing for sex, but sometimes it’s just your body wanting meaningful connections with your partner or yourself. You have to look deep inside and truly ask yourself or your partner what intimacy you are craving that is being misdirected to sexual energy.    

Limit Sex Partners 

When you’re single or in an open relationship, it’s always best to limit sex partners. When you have more than one sexual partner you are increasing the likelihood of catching an STD. If it’s not possible or preferred to limit your number of sex partners, it’s important to be open with them all. This is important so that everyone can make the best decisions for their own sexual health. The more you are open about your sexual life, the more you are practicing safer sex.

Sex can be a healthy thing but not without protecting yourself. If you protect your body and not give it to just anyone, you will forever be protected in so many ways– even if by just protecting your energy or lowering your body count. Not protecting yourself comes with consequences. Sometimes you can’t get rid of these consequences; if you are lucky the consequences can be overcome. You never know what side of the coin you may get as a result of having unprotected sex, so always keep in the back of your mind ways to protect yourself. Do not be an adult that doesn’t think about and know their health status. Protect yourself and your partner from any sexual disease, something that should always be taken seriously. Remember, if you choose to be intimate always protect yourself.

hcxo

Bonny is a transfer student from Georgia Military College, having obtained her associates degree in communication science in Summer 2020. She then transferred to Valdosta State in Fall 2020. She is now a mass media major in her junior year, looking to experience media like she never dreamed of! Bonny's hope that someday her work reaches you and many more.