felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hopefully by now, you’ve moved your last few boxes into your dorm room or apartment and are starting to feel at home in your new space. As college students, we are typically sharing our living space in some capacity which means we have to cram all our personal items in our small bedrooms or even smaller dorm rooms. Having the necessities alone, such as a fridge or dresser, can make the space feel cramped, but adding decorations is a must to make your space enjoyable to live in. 

Your room should feel like home and look like you.

Here’s some tips on how to personalize your small space and make it feel more roomy.

1. Think BIG!

I’m not telling you to buy oversized furniture and switch out your twin bed to a California King. Thinking big means to give the illusion of space. Mirrors make a room seem much bigger as they add dimension. And we all know dark colors make a room seem smaller, so while black out curtains may hide the annoying street lights outside, open them during the day to brighten up your space. 

2. Give Yourself Space to be Creative.

Find ways to add personality to your room. Because you’re probably renting your living space and may not be allowed to drill shelves into the walls, a bookshelf can be a smart alternative. Even if you don’t have a lot of books, you can put movies, picture frames, coffee mugs, and little knick knacks you’ve collected to fill the extra shelf space. 

Use command hooks to get your bags off the floor and buy a cute ottoman for storage and seating. You can also use baskets under the sink for toiletries to declutter the bathroom counter.

3. Style your Space around a Statement Piece.

A statement piece is the focal point of the room and informs the theme of your space. It can be a comforter, a tapestry, or a painting, etc. One year, I styled my dorm room around the color scheme of some album covers I found to hang on my wall. The next year, I styled my room based on a maroon comforter from Target and painted some canvases to match.

Urban Outfitters and Society6 have tapestries for every style, whether it be boho or edgy. I caught this moon one on sale and have it hanging up over my bed now with some string lights around it. It also glows in the dark! 

Most importantly, have fun with your space and try your best to make it feel like home. Happy styling!

–HCXO

Presley Lovins

Valdosta '20

Presley is a raging feminist studying communication and dance at Valdosta State University. City girl from Atlanta, she loves all things classic rock and is passionate about empowering women. In her free time Presley enjoys yoga, poetry and painting.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.