This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

​I love to read books, and I know there are thousands like me. Now I also know a lot of people don’t like to read and are forced to read for school. I only liked about half the stuff I had to read for school. To me, reading a good book and being able to enjoy it is an effort. There are always distractions like noise, people, prices and other things. Reading should be joyful and feel like a movie in your head, and if it isn’t, I don’t know what to tell you other than it might not be the one for you. I love reading so much that everyone around me knows that about me, and I have read hundreds of books over the years. I hope everyone gives reading for fun a try because I think it is a treat; and if you don’t know how to start that process, I will help you out. I know it can be overwhelming and seem too pricey or time-consuming, but I don’t think it is. Keep reading to find tips and tricks to reading.

The first step is to find a good place to get a book. You can always go to the book store but those books usually cost the most because they are paperback or hardcover. I hear a lot about the app, Wattpad, and you can get free books from there. You also have the app store for iTunes and Play store on your phone. Amazon is one of the most known online bookstores and you can find books of all prices on there, even free ones. I use Amazon Kindle and pay a monthly rate to be able to read multiple books that come with it, but I read two or so books a week. I recommend this if you read like me because it is cheaper to do it this way. I say look at places that are in your price range and are more accessible to you.

Next, you need to pick a book. Most books will get you with the title of it or the genre it ends. You can read books the are romances, mystery, fantasy, non-fiction, Paranormal, Adult, teen, Diary and more. Pick something that looks interesting to you the most. The best way to know, you want to read a certain book is by reading the summary or synopsis. You can find one with the book on an app or you can go to websites that have reviews and summaries of thousands of books. Sometimes the summaries on apps don’t give you enough information on the book, so I recommend searching the name of a book and you will find hundreds of articles on it. If you love the summary, you will most likely love the book and should give it a try. You individually have to love it because if you are spending your money, it better be worth it.

Now once you have the book, you have to read it and reading can take up time like hours of your time, but if you love it you will read it faster. Reading is the easy part but finding a place to do it is hard. I use to read on the school bus but I have selective attention which means once I am focused on something, I don’t notice anything around. Now if you are like this, you can read anywhere, but I  do love to read in a quiet place. You can find a quiet place where ever you are. I read in my room with no other sounds and just the light on because we don’t want to mess our eyes up. You can always read in the library and if night time is the best do it.

You can always tell people to hold on your busy reading and most of the time people will listen to you. If you are in a loudish place, you can try putting your headphones in because it can drown the sound out around you  This tip works for me but I don’t know if it will work for someone else. You can always try it. Take your time to read it, take notes, highlight, fold the corners, if you want to and enjoy it.

After you read the book, you can always just be done with it and move on, but you can always start a conversation with it. I have never left a review for a book on an app but I would like to do it one day. You can always talk to someone about it, start a book club, leave a review or start your own blog where you leave reviews on all the books you have read. I just recently start a blog my self because I can’t always talk to those around me about the books I read. I have tried to and I felt like they didn’t really care. It always feels so much better to be around or talk to people that are interested in what you are interested in.

Reading can be a fun experience if you get to do it. So give it a chance.

Alycia Ashmore

Valdosta '21

LOVE
Her Campus at Valdosta State.