girl with jean jacket and collge hat peace sign
Taylor Thoman / Her Campus

How to deal with being a feminist and a Christian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

This topic is something I have been dealing with a lot lately. Yes, I am a Christian and Yes I am a feminist. Often times, the two do not compromise on certain topics.Many Christians believe that Christianity and feminism are incompatible. Alot of them believe women are already equal but have different roles. So , what is a femenist? A feminist is simply a person who supports, the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes. What is a Christian? A christian is someone who is a follower of Christ. Do not get me wrong, I still want a man to lead me in a romantic relationship. (Ephesians 5:22-33)

Just a few days ago, I was scrolling through social media and happen to come across a post about the state, Texas potentially passing a law to assign women who have abortions the death penalty. It was an absolute outranged and did not make one bit of sense to me. I am in no way shape or form for the death penalty. No human should ever determine if someones fate on earth.  That is God’s job. SO, I posted on my snapchat stating, how can someone be pro-life but for the death penalty. A guy friend of mine replied to my snap with a bible verse. The verse is from the old testament and basically stated the whole eye for eye scenerio. He also stated that, “its texas they can do whatever they want” as if Texas is not apart of the United States.

Kellyn Simpkin-Texting Hat Girl Cactus Bench Floral Shirt
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

My response was that that verse is the old convenant, which we do not go by and if he really truly wants to bring religion into it, every human who breaks one of the ten commandments should also suffer the death penalty, but we do not because of God’s grace. Yes, I am not pro-choice, but that does not mean we should kill these woman. Instead of spreading hatred, how about showing God’s love and mercy towards these woman and letting them know that there are other alternatives. Also, try to encourage every stable family in America to be more prone to opening up their households to foster kids. I cry when I think about the amount of children without homes but yet we just move along to take care of our own. 

Moving on, besides dealing with controversial topics like abortion, equal pay, and so on. God created both men and women in his image and wanted them together “as a team” to rule over creation. God inteneded to be that way before sin entered the world. Nowhere in Scripture does it imply that women are unqual to men in God’s eyes or that we should have less significance than men. There are many verses that I could state where women are just as important in Gods eyes as are men, however this article would be over 100 paragrahps. 

Christianity and feminism are connected witch each other, not opposites. Being a follwer of Christ, I do identify as Christian first and then a femnist. Have a great day. Treat everyone with kindness and love, just as Christ first loved us. 

Ciara Jones

Valdosta '20

Hello, Ciara Jones is a "Senior" at Valdosta State University, majoring in Mass Media. After she graduates, she is planning to go into ministry working with communication media and journalism. She has a passion for Jesus, writing, kids and food. She loves attending bonfires and concerts on her free time.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.