This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Maintaining clear skin is a challenge that I’ve been facing since I’ve entered college as a freshman. Before my freshman year, I’ve never had a problem with breakouts or dark spots so this was completely new to me. I also couldn’t figure out what caused these random spots on my face. It was also in college where I first began to toy around with makeup and realized how much I loved it. Although, I don’t believe that makeup was the reason for my dark spots to appear. Needless to say, it’s my junior year of college and I’ve only received more spots since my freshman year. I’ve recently switched up not only my skincare routine but also my lifestyle which all may contribute to the spots and the results are showing an improvement. Here are a few tips that have helped me if you are suffering from dark spots as well…

1. Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel

The first change I made in my skincare routine was to start using a toner, something I neglected once I got to college. This toner not only reduced my pores and helped tone my complexion, it gave my skin a glow it didn’t have before. I also believe this toner is assisting with the fading of my acne scars and dark spots. It’s also 100% natural and doesn’t overdry the skin like most toners. 

2. African Black Soap

African Black Soap has been a staple in my skincare routine for over a year now but has definetely contributed to maintaining the skin on my face outside of my trouble areas. It’s also very natural and can be used to even out dark spots, eczema, razor bumps, thinning out fine lines and so much more. I would suggest using it a few days out the week but not everyday because it can be very drying. 

3. Moisturizing daily

Not only does your skin need to be cleaned throughout the day, moisturizing is also imperative. I use Olay Complete moisturizer that also containes sunscreen with an SPF15. Using a moisturizer with sunscreen is important because the sun will darken the spots on your face if they aren’t protected. I usually follow up with moisturizer after toner but not at night. 

4. Drink lots of water

I’m sure most of know the many benefits of water especially when it comes to our skin. Water is one of the most important keys to maintaining clear skin. It helps to flush out the toxins and bodily wastes therefore helping to clear our skin. Increasing my water intake to about 6-7 16 oz. water bottles a day has shown quite a difference in my skin as well. 

5. Makeup

If you are into makeup as much as I am, you can agree that it takes a toll on your skin. Makeup alone can cause quite damage to your skin if you aren’t careful. Lately I have been more careful about giving my skin a break from makeup. Giving your skin a break from the chemicals most makeup products contain will make a huge difference in your skin. Try to limit how many times a week you wear it and you will almost immediately see a difference. I would also suggest looking into purchasing makeup products that contain natural and less harmful chemicals. 

#HCXO!

Pre-Nursing major at Valdosta State University. Free spirited.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.