How to Change Your Semester in 5 Seconds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

This is it. The last stretch. After four years at VSU, I’m feeling completely prepared to graduate and enter my career field in May. I already have dozens of job prospects, and I’m managing my current job and school assignments swimmingly. My love life is thriving. Skin thriving. Burned out? Who’s she?

Bullsh*t.

I can’t find my only pencil. I’ve been on time for work once. And my ex got married the same night I wrote this article.

Anyone else miss out on the 2020 magic? Anyone else feeling unmotivated, irresponsible and unproductive af?

Don’t worry, this isn’t going to be a b*tch fest. I realize I am privileged to even be here receiving an education and to be so close to graduating. So I want to get a hold of these negative vibes and stop fumbling through the day. Join me on this journey of getting my sh*t together. It’s not too late for the New Year, New Me mentality to kick in. In fact, it only takes five seconds.

Motivational speaker Mel Robbins created The Five Second Rule as a simple tool to motivate people to act towards their goals.

“If you have an instinct to act on a goal, you must physically move within 5 seconds or your brain will kill it.”

For example, when my alarm goes off in the morning, I must act on my instinct to get up before my brain convinces me not to. Counting backwards 5-4-3-2-1-GO, I have to take action by physically pulling off those cozy covers, standing up and lumbering to the shower.       

You can use this rule to make that difficult phone call, start that daunting paper or clean your apartment. Count backwards from 5 and take that first step towards your goal. Don’t allow your excuses to cloud your motivation. There will always be reasons not to do something, and even the reasons to do something are not strong enough alone to accomplish a goal. It’s your action, no matter how small, that makes the difference.

To find out more about the neuroscience behind The Five Second Rule, click here or check out Mel’s book here.

Although this rule is simple, pushing yourself to take that initial step in the direction of change is not always easy. It takes practice and discipline, but I promise we all have it in us. 5-4-3-2-1-LET’S GO!

Happy spring semester, lovely readers! HCXO!

Presley Lovins

Valdosta '20

Presley is a raging feminist studying communication and dance at Valdosta State University. City girl from Atlanta, she loves all things classic rock and is passionate about empowering women. In her free time Presley enjoys yoga, poetry and painting.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.