This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

1. Try things your ancestors did.

Obviously, I don’t mean picking cotton. Our ancestors were robust people. Talk to your family and figure out what strange or underappreciated talents your grandparents or great grandparents had. Whether they sewed, crocheted or danced, try out something they did. It’s surprising how it makes you feel performing that action, knowing they did the same thing.

The ancestors:

Beyonce  Clapping
Giphy

2. Read more black books.

Most of us already read many books about black people just to learn more about our history, culture and the evolution of our people. However, during black history month, read more than just black literature. Read slave narratives, autobiographies, poems, plays, old fables. These texts are much different from traditional American texts because they were written by black people and therefore allow you to connect with them on a deeper level.

Unsplash

3. Buy Black.

We all know that black people possess the largest spending power on average; however, black businesses often tend to have more expensive products. For February, your challenge should be to buy black no matter what. For one month replace everything you currently buy with a black-owned replacement. It’s out there, it just might be a little more than what you’re currently paying, and you might have to have it shipped it to you. Take the month to splurge and support the black economy.

Unsplash

4. Mentor young black kids.

Many of us grew up in terrible living situations, and if we had an adult who we could confide in and act as a safe space for us, that was huge. Some of us had ignorant friends, others had trusted parents, but some kids have nothing, and these are the kids that can easily become lost. Children are the future, and if we can manage to help and nurture young black kids who aren’t getting that love at home, I know our ancestors would be proud.

5. Listen to old black music.

Music is almost as old as humanity itself, and our people love rhythm and beats. This appreciation of music is engrained in the melanin. During black history month, I like to listen to all kinds of black people: African-Americans, Africans, black Hispanics, and all other parts of the African Diaspora. There are people with unloved dark skin all over the planet, and they have been expressing it for centuries. Absorbing that raw emotion during black history month can just help you feel so connected.

Hair Flip
Giphy

So get out there and Enlighten yourself!!!

“People get used to anything. The less you think about your oppression, the more your tolerance for it grows. After a while, people just think oppression is the normal state of things.”

-Assata Shakur

Mass Media major, looking to do big things in the future! Remember my name, it'll be on the big screen one day. (In the credits, I'm not an actor)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.