This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

As fun as Homecoming can be, we’ve all heard of the stories where it didn’t turn out so great. A lot of people, mixed with alcohol (assuming that most people drink) can lead to some sticky situations. You don’t want any bad memories of this weekend right? It’s Homecoming! From my experience, knowing these things in the past would have made for way better outings. This list will be your cheat sheet to a smart, safe, and fantastic weekend! Happy Homecoming and may the odds be ever in your favor.

1. Stay charged! Having a dead phone isn’t going to get you anywhere you want to be. Imagine getting lost and then your phone died, not fun right? You can find a portable charger as cheap as $7. This will come in handy!

2. Carry cash. Everyone doesn’t accept cards, and you honestly never know when you might need money.

3. Know the law. The face you make when you get pulled over during homecoming (below).We all know that drinking and driving is illegal. So is having an open alcohol container in a vehicle. Stay knowledgeable to avoid getting in legal trouble.

4. Watch your drink (legal drinkers)! Never leave your drink unattended! You don’t want to give anyone the opportunity to put something harmful in it.

5. Bring extra shoes. Have a pair of extra shoes in your car that you can change into. That will be way better than taking off your heels and going barefoot. Then getting your feet dirty, or accidentally stepping on glass. You’ll comfortable enough to continue having fun with a back up pair.

6. Carry tissue. The look on your face when you have to use the bathroom and there isn’t any tissue. Clubs and house parties always run out of tissue. Have one of those small packets, that people by around flu season, that should be enough.

7. Eat before you drink (legal drinkers). Your body will thank you, trust me.

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.