Homecoming Court 2016: Roderick “Rod” Stillwell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Roderick Stillwell 

Major: Mass Media 

Classification: Junior 

Fun Fact: I am a United States Marine. 

HC: Tell us a little about yourself:

RS: I am a 23 year old from Decatur, GA. I would say that I am a very unique person who has an infatuation with art and history.  I enjoy being around others and having a great time. 

HC: What are your aspirations in life?

RS: My aspirations are to be come established as a valued graphic designer and cinematographer. I also want to be able to entertain people and make them laugh. I feel that laughter makes you live longer and I am here to put a smile on peoples faces. In general my aspirations are to create great things that people can enjoy and never forget. 

HC: What are you involved in on campus? 

RS: Phi Beta Sigma, Media Arts Geniuses, and Relay For Life. 

HC: What are you currently doing to influence students on campus?

RS: I never saw myself as someone who would be inspiring to others, but now I have found myself inspiring people to work hard and never give up on aspirations. Not only do I want to reach my goals but I want to inspire others to accomplish their dreams as well. I always tell others to take every opportunity to shine and never give up on their dreams because every man/woman controls their own destiny. I also make sure I tell others to stay true to themselves and never let the opinions of the masses sway the things they value and their outlooks on life. I would say that I am inspiring students both directly and indirectly to do what they love. Lastly, I continuously express to never give in to failures because failures are a part of your journey to success.  

HC: Why should you be chosen for Homecoming King? 

RS: I should be chosen to be homecoming king because I will be a king like never before. I will embark on the journey like no candidate ever has. I don’t see anyone greater or better than another because I see equality in all people. I am a man who is not blinded by skin color, gender, sexual orientation, social status, or views. I should win because I’m looking to gain support from everyone. I want to create a campaign and become a symbol that promotes unity and networking amongst students to create a base for all voices to be heard. If we all unite there is no problem on this campus that we can’t fix. 

HC: If you were to be crowned Homecoming King, how would you use your title to impact our campus? 

RS: I want to impact our campus by urging all students to unite. However, I want to come together not only by race but in many other areas as well. As I have looked into endorsements I’ve seen the amount of organizations on campus and the diversity. These organizations should all get time to shine and be on the forefront as apposed to the same organization over and over again. There are too many people on campus for us only to see a minority of the population when there are events happening on campus filled with so much diversity. I want to make us a vibrant extensive family here at Valdosta State University. If we all stick together and use our resources there is so much we can accomplish. 

HC: What sets you apart from other candidates? 

RS: The idea that sets me apart from other candidates is my desired support system. As I have stated before, I want to be supported by a variety of organizations that have individuals with various backgrounds, and ideals. I feel that I am the one candidate who stands out the most. With my ability to crate my own views and values as opposed to hastily going with what is presented to me by the majority, I believe that I am worthy and deserve to get the crown.

Voting starts Tuesday, October 18th on Campus Connect! HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.
Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk