Homecoming Court 2016: Justin Chad Capers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Justin Chad Capers

Major: International Business

Minor: Music

Classification: Senior

Fun Fact: I have been to 5 out of the 7 continents! 

HC: Tell us a little about yourself: 

JC: Hey Blazers! My name is Justin Chad and as you know, I am running to be your 2016 Homecoming King! I am a senior here at Valdosta State University and I have spent my entire college career trying to make this campus great! I am a very dedicated and hard working individual when it comes to VSU. I am very out going and personable. I can sit and talk to you for hours especially about all things music. Overall, I am very proud to be a Blazer and hope to represent you as your 2016 Homecoming King! 

HC: What are your aspirations in life? 

JC: After graduating this May, I plan to continue my education in the field of law with the hopes to one day become a corporate litigator. I also want to continue to travel the world. Lastly, I would love to continue my work in public service on a national level. 

HC: What are you involved in on campus? 

JC: I am currently the President of the Black Student League in which I have been a member for the past four years. I am the Vice President of the Mighty Mu Omicron Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. I have been in the Valdosta State Marching Band for the past 4 years, 3 of which I was the Drum Major. I am a Brother of Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity. I was a VSU Study Abroad Ambassador in Cadiz, Spain where I also was a mentor for CEPA Summer Camp. I have been a committee member for Homecoming 2016 and Black History Month 2016. I am apart of the National Society of Leadership and Success. Locally I have mentored for Valdosta Early College Academy, Boys to Men with Heart to Heart Association, and LAMP Community Center. I have also been apart of Future Business Leaders of America, the VSU Chamber Sings, and the VSU Spotlighters. 

HC: What are you currently doing to influence students on campus? 

JC: Currently I influence the student body through my work in organizations. This is my last year at VSU and I have decided to make it my mission to build and strengthen the next group of campus leaders. I have worked hard to grow my relationship with administration so I can help the underclassmen voice their concerns and opinions to them through me, eventually my hope is that they will have a relationship of their own. 

HC: Why should you be chosen for Homecoming King? 

JC: I believe I should be chosen for Homecoming King because I have a passion for the students. I want the VState Experience to be just as fulfilling as any other campus. The work in my past has manifested itself into the right relationships with the students and administration so I can now get things done. This position will give me a permanent seat at the table to expose everything that students like and dislike about VSU. We can work together to make this campus experience one that we all can look back and be proud of after we become Valdosta State University Alumni. 

HC: If you were to be crowned Homecoming King, how would you use your title to impact our campus? 

JC: I personally would survey the campus, just like I have been doing throughout my campaign. Hearing how the students feel and what they want. Take that information and be our voice to administration. I will get with administration to put organizations’ events, that they have know idea are happening, on their calendars. Show the VSU Marketing Team all the cool facets of this University, so we can celebrate and show potential students that we have modeling troupes, a cappella groups, poetry societies, language clubs, minority based organizations, media arts outlets and much much more!! I will be that microscope for administration and that voice for our students. 

HC: What sets you apart from other candidates? 

JC: I feel what sets me apart is my work ethic. I’m not talking about in general; I’m talking as it relates to our campus and our students. From the beginning I have been Pro-VSU and throughout the years I have worked and worked to make this campus so enticing so everyone was as Pro-VSU as I am. Of course we have a long way to go but I have and always will be invested in putting in the groundwork to make this campus something we will be proud of and sad to leave behind. I genuinely love the students who go to this school as you can tell from my amount of work, and I honestly want to make a difference for you.

Voting starts Tuesday, October 18th on Campus Connect! HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.
Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk