Homecoming Court 2016: Aaliyah Danielly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Aaliyah Danielly

Major: Office Administration and Technology

Classification: Junior

Fun Fact: I am running for Homecoming court to fulfill one of the promises that I made to my mother before she passed away from a terminal illness last month. My mother said that she wanted to see me attempt to break out of my shell and make the best of my final year of college, as well as continue my military career. Even though she is no longer here, I want to still keep that promise.

HC: Tell us a little about yourself: 

AD: I am 21 years old junior from Macon. I took a semester off during my sophomore year to join the army reserves. I love volunteering and serving my country.

HC: What are your aspirations in life? 

AD: After college I plan on going to graduate school and becoming an Officer in the United States Military. I want to spend each day giving back and protecting  my community. I want to help people to see what they can accomplish at their fullest potential. Helping to facilitate the success of others is what my mother loved to do and its what I aspire to continue to accomplish.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

AD: Throughout my college career I have been apart of several campus organizations such as Heart2Heart and Emerging Leaders. Currently I am a part of Enactus and S.A.V.E. (Students Against Violating the Environment). I feel that by focusing on only a few organizations at a time, I am able to devote as much time and energy to the projects as possible. Whether its mentoring Valdosta’s youth or helping to educate students on ways to cut down their carbon footprint. I enjoy knowing that I made the choice to be there  that  Im not just volunteering to meet a course or organization requirement. Being a servant of the lord and my community is what I strive to do.

HC: What are you currently doing to influence students on campus?

AD: I am over public relations for S.A.V.E and getting the word out about environmental concerns that affect our local area as well as the global environment through forums and events is my biggest focus. I feel the more, we know the better chance we have to be able to continue to grow and be prosperous.

HC: Why should you be chosen for Homecoming Queen? 

AD: I believe that as a student and an enlisted Army reserve soldier, that I can help show my fellow peers, as well as the local youth that you can be whoever and do whatever you set your mind to. You do not have to be the most popular or social person to make an impact on the world, just being yourself and helping others in your personal way can make the biggest difference in the lives of many.

HC: If you were to be crowned Homecoming Queen, how would you use your title to impact our campus?

AD: If I am crowned Homecoming Queen, not only will I continue to mentor and educate, but I personally plan on helping the campus to increase awareness of mental health and disorders that students struggle with here. As an only child who has recently lost their mother, a full time student, and reservist I have experienced some of the mental stess and struggles first hand. I want others to know that they are not alone and that  we can work together to ensure that we go on to live productive and healthy lives.

HC: What sets you apart from other candidates?

AD: I feel that each of the candidates have amazing qualities and potential. I think that my military experience and love for our campus and environment is what  truly sets me apart. Where some people chose to serve themselves and their communities through campus organizations, I chose to serve our country through my service.

Voting starts Tuesday, October 18th on Campus Connect! HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.
Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk