Homecoming Court 2015: Ashley Butts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Ashley Butts

Major: Chemistry Major, Spanish Minor 

Classification: Junior

Fun Fact: Mangos are my favorite fruit!

HC: Tell us a little about yourself!

AB: I am the oldest of 3 from the small town Milledgeville, GA. I enjoy eating, singing, dancing, and reading. I am a lover of all things science related and I am very happy that I chose to attend Valdosta State University. 

HC: What are your aspirations in life?

AB: My aspirations in life are to continue making my family proud, earn a career that I am fully happy with, and to continue living life with no regrets.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

AB: I am a a 2nd year Resident Assistant in Hopper Hall, I am a devoted member of the Collegiate Women of Valdosta State University (CWVSU), Media Arts Genius Performer as a dancer and singer, current National Pan-Hellenic Council Treasurer as well as the current Greek Ambassador Treasurer, Heart 2 Heart Mentor for the kids at the Hudson Dockett Center, member of Sigma Alpha Pi: National Society of Leadership and Success, Student Member of the American Chemical Society, and a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sorority, Inc.

HC: What are you currently doing to influence students on campus?

AB: Currently, as a resident assistant I am encouraging fellow students to get the most out of their college experience by meeting new people, venturing to new places, and exploring their world! With CWVSU, we strive to set the example of how a collegiate woman should portray herself by teaching, supporting, volunteering, and mentoring to other women on campus as well as each other. As a Media Arts Genius,  I not only showcase my talents but I encourage others to work on their crafts and and break out of their shells by showing VSU what they have to offer. As a woman of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. and a Heart 2 Heart Mentor most of my work done in these organizations is off campus, so I continually try to make students aware of the community around them.  This allows people to see what’s happening in the community and it makes them want to contribute and improve the Lowndes County/ Valdosta.

HC: Why should you be chosen for Homecoming Queen?

AB: I would like to be your homecoming Queen because I feel as though our Homecoming Queen should not be someone that represents one stereotype or one section of the students here. My campaign, P.O.P.: Purpose Over Popularity, is me saying that because I am heavily involved on this campus and because I have developed so many relationships with a variety of people on this campus, that I want to be the queen who is relatable to everyone and that I am someone who can represent the diversity here at this school.

HC: If you were to be crowned Homecoming Queen, how would you use your title to impact our campus?

AB: I would continue to serve all of my organizations on campus as well as off campus and show people that it is okay to be heavily involved in whatever your heart desires. You are not limited to do one thing or to fit one stereotype.

HC: What sets you apart from other candidates? 

AB: I feel as though all of the candidates are wonderful , however I feel as though I am the candidate that wants to take away the stereotype of VSU’s Homecoming Queen by winning because of my purpose and not popularity. 

Voting begins Tuesday, November 10th on Campus Connect! HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.
Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk