Homecoming Court 2014: Kyle Poe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

HC: What are your aspirations in life?

KP: Four years of growth via the “college experience” has completely changed the way I think and feel about what it is that I actually want in life. At this point in my life, I aspire to be completely happy.

Before college, we are all guilty of having this mentality that we should go to college, get involved, get a degree or two and get a good job to make a lot of money. However, when do we make room for happiness? A wise man once told me, “Don’t forget to stop and smell the roses.” The most beautiful trophy in the world can’t provide you with the warmth and security that comes in being genuinely happy.

I also aspire to lift as I climb. Too often we turn a blind eye to ignorance when we should instead educate those who don’t know. I didn’t come into this world knowing what I am knowledgeable of now. I had A LOT of help along the way, all of which I cannot disregard. To me, lifting as I climb, which is essentially helping others, comes natural. It is not a goal but rather a life style.

Lastly, I aspire to inspire. Initially this was difficult because I was trying to be an inspiration to someone. I stopped trying so hard and people started acknowledging how hard I work. After having an epiphany, I realized that I can be an inspiration by just being Kyle. Sometimes we disregard the fact that there is always someone watching us and that we could be an inspiration to a complete stranger. Being able to display self-love, and just being me inspires others. After all, how can we love others (or expect others to love themselves) if we don’t truly love ourselves?

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

KP: Currently, I am involved as a Senator in Student Government Association serving on the legislative/judicial committee, Vice President of Rec. Life VSU, a Health Coach and a Housing Coordinator.

In SGA we seek to improve the campus of Valdosta State by working as a liaison for the student body and catering to their wants and needs to which we see fit. On the judicial/legislative committee, our mission is to formulate policies, regulations, and recommendations that shall relate to the student body as well as interpret the SGA Constitution and By-Laws as well as conduct case conduct hearings assigned by the Student Conduct Office.

Rec. Life is a fairly new organization that is geared towards developing students’ professional and leadership skills specifically through VSU Campus Recreation. One of the events that we are in charge of is the annual Haunted Trail which will be held the week after Homecoming (Tues Oct. 28th – Fri Oct. 31st). We are still seeking both actors and volunteers. For more information or if anyone would be interested they can contact either me or my president Jesse Usry (jcusry@valdosta.edu).

I am a Herbalife Distributor and thereby a Health Coach. Along with conducting free fit camps, I educate my clients about proper nutrition and how being fit doesn’t necessarily mean you’re healthy. I also try to stress that working out is only 20% whereas nutrition is 80% of what it takes to be healthy and achieve your health goals. Most people don’t know anything about nutrition, therefore I feel as though it is a crime to charge people for this service. It’s fun to be honest! There is nothing more rejoicing than receiving a text from a client that they’ve lost three pounds or they enjoyed fit camp and are bringing more friends next time. 

HC: What are you currently doing to influence students on campus?

KP: As I stated earlier, by showing students that I care, I have indirectly influenced them to do more and say more. I care about the student body. Working for VSU in Housing has allowed me to interact with many students and hear how they feel VSU is lacking in many ways. I could only relate to their complaints. I actually ran for SGA Senator because I was frustrated with students constantly complaining about our campus when as students we can change these things.

I like to look sharp. I feel that dressing professionally definitely distinguishes students in a college setting and speaks volume about one’s maturity. As an African American male I believe we have to work much harder for what we want to accomplish in life. Fellow male colleagues of mine have taken heed and respect my reasoning for doing this and have started to hold themselves to a higher standard as well.

HC: Why should you be chosen for Homecoming King?

KP: Firstly, I believe the titles of King & Queen aren’t held to the pedestal that [they] should be. They should represent someone who represents not only the student body but also the school in its entirety. I’m not fully aware of all of the expectations of the Homecoming King, but I do know that I will not be just a title holder or another face on campus.

Some characteristics I believe a King and Queen should possess [are] the ability to be relatable, conscientious, humble and ambitious. I believe I should be chosen as Homecoming King because I, like many other candidates have done a lot for this campus through academics, extracurricular activities as well as employment.

Like many freshman, I didn’t come in [having] Hope Scholarship. It wasn’t until my sophomore year that I was eligible to receive it along with 2 other scholarships. I’ve maintained Hope since it was granted to me. I didn’t make the football team but I was granted the opportunity to play on the VSU Rugby team where we were one of the top teams in Georgia for Men’s Division. I’ve both worked and lived on campus for three years which has allowed me to explore and become familiar with various departments and administrators on campus.

I was afforded the opportunity to be on the Shuttle Bus GPS System committee in which I was able to help decide on which program/system would best fit the student body. Working as a Housing Coordinator (Student Facilities Assistant) last semester I, along with my two co-workers, were tasked with evacuating and relocating 30+ students from Hopper Hall in less than a week due to the flooring issues. I believe that I represent both the student body as well as the university in its entirety, which is why I strongly believe that I should be Homecoming King this year.

HC: If you were to be crowned Homecoming King, how would you use your title to impact our campus?

KP: As Homecoming King and SGA Senator I will be seeking to constantly serve the student body. I will hold this title to the same degree to that of SGA President. Next semester I plan to be involved in even more and would love to reach out to freshmen, international students and students that are seeking diversity to help them become more engaged with the university.

I feel that too often in seeking to advance ourselves we turn a blind eye to others. Something else I seek to do is get a track team started through SGA. Several students have questioned why we don’t have one and what would have to be done to get one up and running. I also would like to see what it would take to get an AT&T tower on campus as I know that many students are serviced by AT&T and feel it is a pester to travel from different lecture halls without service. I essentially plan on maintaining what I do now; however, with even more emphasis.

HC: What sets you apart from other candidates?

KP: Of all of the candidates that I am aware of, I believe we all have more in common which makes it extremely difficult to distinguish us. We are all African American males who have done a lot for VSU and [have] been through a lot in our college career. I am actually honored to be characterized with some of the same young men I’ve looked up to since I came to VSU in Fall of 2011. I believe, however, that I am the only candidate that has a full beard and wears bowties. I’m trademarking bowties throughout this campaign.

Voting starts Tuesday, October 21.

Her Campus at Valdosta State.
President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Valdosta State, and a Mass Media major. Loves spaghetti and is currently waiting for someone to teach her how to play her guitar. Never meets a stranger. Hi :)