His Campus: Why She’s Not Texting You Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Guys, I’m certain you’ve been there before: going out to a party and spotting that girl you’ve had your eye on for a minute from across the room. Somehow, amid a room full of people, you muster up the courage to approach her (of course, with the help of your third shot of tequila) and ask for the digits. You make a decent conversation for the night and end it on a good note.

Unfortunately, the sparks dim quickly and the continuity within the text messages vanishes within the first couple of weeks. Suddenly you’re stuck wondering if it was your breath, or the lack of deodorant you used the night you met her. Sadly enough, (and I hate to be the one to say it, but) sometimes, she’s just not that into you, bro. But don’t worry, I am here to inform you on the big no-nos that turn most of us ladies off. Take notes!

1. You’re too clingy, too early

Are you acting like her boyfriend within ten minutes of meeting her? Are you clocking her every move to make sure she doesn’t give her number to anyone else? Do the five missed calls and the three “wyd?” texts link back to you? Basically, if you’re acting like she’s your only source for living, eating, and breathing and you don’t even know her last name, you probably pushed her buttons all the way off.

Acceptable: Being a little jealous of other guys after you’ve both established you like one anotherUnacceptable: Assuming she has a boyfriend and a plethora of guys chasing her and texting her 24/7

2. You’re way too cocky for her

We all love a man with confidence in all the right areas; however, too much confidence can easily be misconstrued for cockiness—which is a trait annoying enough to make any woman want to throw up.

Acceptable: Talking about your credentials and assets and what you have planned in the near futureUnacceptable: Expecting her to be impressed as you brag about your car, sneaker collection, and that one time you touched Drake’s hand at his concert

3. She had her beer goggles on

Sorry bro, it happens to us ladies as well. Sometimes, we may have had one too many drinks and can’t remember if we thought you were cute or if it was just the shots of Fireball you kept buying us. :(

4. Too boring and dry

Despite it being the Digital Age, not everyone is text savvy. However, if you are the one initiating the conversation but never follow through and leave her to talk to, essentially, a brick wall, it won’t be too long before she stops replying altogether.

Acceptable: Stopping the conversation via text to pick up the phone and call herUnacceptable: “Hey””Hi :)””Wyd””Nothing, just got out of class, wby?””Cool.”

5. Bad Reputation

Of course, we females tell our friends when we FINALLY score the guy we’ve been crushing on all semester. (1. To brag and 2. to get a brief background check.) But sometimes we are the ones who get crushed after we’re informed you get around, and not in a good way. Nobody wants to only be another notch in someone’s belt.

Acceptable: A couple crazy nights your freshman yearUnacceptable: The fact that you’re about to graduate and still scheming on freshmen at the bars

6. Social media is life

Are you telling her to like all your pics on Instagram right after asking for her number? Are you asking her to give you a shout out to get your followers up? Do you send her (and God knows how many other people) 100-second long snapchats daily?

Acceptable: Following each otherUnacceptable: Using her as a crutch to get your likes up

7. You’re a “Oh, without me?” type of guy

If your response to a girl telling you she is watching Netflix, at the mall, making dinner, or getting ready for bed is: “Oh, without me?”, don’t count on a text back buddy. And if she does text back, it most likely won’t be the answer you were looking for. Come on, do you really want to end up on this site?!

Acceptable: Accepting the fact that she is an independent woman, and will do things on her own without including you in every single one of her plansUnacceptable: Asking her what she’s getting you during her Walmart run for tampons and Midol

8. You only text or call during booty call hours!

We all know that time of night where we all want to snuggle (or perhaps more) with someone. If you’re only hitting her up during these hours, she will catch on and think you only want her for sex—especially if she’s a wholesome young lady!

Acceptable: NeverUnacceptable: Asking her to waste her gas to come over and watch a movie at 12:00AM in a stinky apartment with no food and you haven’t texted her all day

9. You’re too persistentfor no reason!

This one stumps me to this day. If you look down at your message thread and see she hasn’t responded to the last six “Hey beautiful” text messages, why roll the dice a 7th time? Delete her number and move on, she’s just not that into you, bro!

Acceptable: 3 courtesy messages and a phone call to reach out and see if she’s still aliveUnacceptable: Continuing to send her “Good Morning” at exactly 11:59AM every day when she hasn’t responded to any of them

10. You bring nothing to the table

Ouch. As harsh as it sounds, sometimes the truth hurts. If the woman you’re pursuing matches everything in your criteria yet you have nothing going for yourself that fits her standards, why continue the pursuit? Unless you both agree to change your standards, it simply isn’t worth trying to pursue someone not within your league!

Hope I was of assistence! HCxo.

21 Mass Media Major at Valdosta State :)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.