george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Have You Been Brainwashed?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When we think brainwash, we think of maybe aliens or something similar. However, there is a system with intentions to conform us, and that is much more frightening than a few aliens roaming the earth. We are influenced by this system daily, living unaware of its effects. When looking at the bigger picture, the deciding factor is whether you fall or you rise.

“We accept the reality in which we are presented,” a memorable quote from the film The Truman Show, screams “we are brainwashed” to its viewers . After taking time to unpack this quote, could you deny that this is true? When social norms drown you and social media defines you, you have lost the battle to the system. When a trait is being praised, it implants the thought that dissimilar traits are not as worthy.  Also, when certain actions or personalities are preferred, it implants the thought that contrary characteristics are not accepted. What the system fails to show is that only what is understood is accepted and what is not understood is shunned. Conversely, the flaw in the system is that evolution requires change and there is no change when everyone is subjected to the same guidelines.

After years of roaming this earth, there is still more to unveil. Some have little to no aspirations for more because it has always been given. However, there are others who continuously strive for more because it has always been scarce. Whether it is money, love, etc., the “it” varies based on what has and what has not been presented to the individual. Sometimes, what the person is exposed to is not always the truth or there is more to experience beyond contentment. This is where we fall short to the system. Throughout life it is important that you search and discover your own answers. You may find yourself altering or unlearning prior information based off of your findings, do not back down if they do not coincide with the next person’s. When you compare your thoughts to others, you limit yourself to another person’s way of thinking. It is easy to blend in, but it takes confidence to stand out.

Another key to take from this quote is to break out of your comfort zone. You know, that routine you mechanically run through. How about that next step you always thought about, but never took due to the fear of what comes next? While following this routine, you are exposed to similar events. There are more aspects to life than what you are used to. This fear is the force that pulls us back into the system. Life is about trial and error, you must fail in order to know what it takes to succeed.    

Never be afraid to stand alone. Each obstacle encountered is another opportunity to show what you are capable of. Best explained by the words of Kendrick Lamar, “We all get distracted, the question is would you bounce back or bounce backwards? Would you not know how to act or take action?”

HCXO.

Jamesia Folston is an Early Childhood Education student at Valdosta State University. She is a 23 year old alternative music addict who enjoys traveling, thrifting, and creating. She aspires to become an educator abroad and globetrotter.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.