This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The year 2020 is shortly coming to a close, thankfully. When I look back to the beginning of the year, January. I can say I am not who I was before. This year has grown me, strengthened me, hurt me, and healed me. 2020 was a tragic year, families all over the world have lost so many relatives, the economy took a turn for the worst when states were prompt to close down businesses, to slow the rates of covid-19 from spreading. In all this chaos people had their own personal issues affecting them. This year for me has been challenging in many ways, academically I have been overwhelmed, mentally I have no time to sit with my thoughts because I am always on the move, physically I stopped attending the gym and participating in my daily runs and walks I use to do. Spiritually I am not as aligned with spirit how I use to be. Emotionally I am drained and tired. 2020 is responsible for changing me. I believe the negative outcomes weigh the positive ones. Really it depends how you look at it. For me I feel like 2020 didn’t make an impact on my growth, I do not believe I did a lot of growing this year more like settling and remaining stagnant and I believe I chose that route because it was the most comfortable. This year help me distinguish the difference between being happy and just being comfortable. I do not know how to feel when I think about my comfort zone being the reason, I missed out on so many great opportunities. Comfortability is like candy, it makes you feel so good and it is so irresistible at the moment but the longer we indulge the more pain and stagnation we are going to endure, the unknown is like fruit, it may look dry and boring but its actually more exciting and better for your health.

open books on a table
Photo by Patrick Tomasso from Unsplash

In 2021 I plan to step into greatness and out of my comfort zone through forced experiences, extra energy, and effort. I will set aside my fears and be vulnerable to the unknown. My goal for 2021 is to grow, expand, and shift into a better version of myself. I will write down my goals for the day/week, I will accept challenges that push me more often, I will remain positive and uplifted. I will change my bad habits and shift my negative thoughts to more joyous thoughts. 2021 will be calming, breathable, and relaxing meaning there will be no more stressful times, no more viruses telling us what to do and when to do it, for example, wearing a mask in every building you enter, no more delayed growth stunts. Next year is all about progress, making progress is my number one priority in all aspects of my life. I accomplished the first step which is acknowledging my shortcomings. I am in the need of visual growth, I do not like growing it is essential for us to prosper, advance, and thrive. Starting now going into 2021 I will treat my life like a garden and watch it bloom beautifully, I will tend to myself as if I have become wither, I will nurture myself back to health. In 2021 I see myself flourishing, pouring into myself so later I can pour into others without overextending myself. My word for the next year is reinvention, I am on a mission to reinvent myself for myself, starting with limiting the content I see on social media, engage in more positive insight, invest my time in reading more books, work on my attitude, show more gratitude, confess insecurities that are holding me back, indulge in self-love.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to read my articles. My inspiration comes from my past, present, and, future. Follow me on Instagram @Courtney.Flournoy10
Her Campus at Valdosta State.