This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I’ve heard your twenties will be the most exciting part of your life, and apparently there’s so much to learn during your twenties. I’ve only been in my twenties for two years now, and there’s so much knowledge I’ve gained. I haven’t even reached the halfway mark.

Grown-ish
ABC Signature Studios

Relationships

Apparently, relationships seem to be the number one topic of discussion among fellow twenty year olds. Through my involvement with various individuals, I’ve learned who you interact with is often a reflection of you or what you need to work on in life, and it couldn’t be more true. Also, there’s a moment, not just in your twenties, but throughout life where you learn that you can’t expect others to love you if you don’t love yourself. My involvements have also helped me understand how important it is not to put yourself out there for someone who you aren’t even official with. There are also things that I’ve learned from my 20-something peers such as if it’s meant to be, it will be, and there’s nothing you can do to force what the universe has planned for you.

Self

The twenties are where you learn about a lot of things but mainly about yourself. So many times when we’re single, we reflect on how we’re alone with no lover or no one to sleep with at night, but we soon realize that this alone time is crucial to become our best selves. Everyday, I learn something new about myself and who I want to be. For instance, I often dream about the woman I want to be, but I’m not going to get there by just dreaming. 

Family

Growing up, I feel like we all go through various stages with our family, and most of those stages consist of us disagreeing with our parents 99% of the time. Once we get to our twenties, we learn that our parents were right most of the time, and we were just young individuals trying to find our way in the world. Lately, life has been hitting me from multiple directions, and talking to my parents from time to time for a good laugh or advice helps ease my mind.

Friendships

I probably would be a dysfunctional individual if it wasn’t for my friend groups. There are some things you can’t turn to your family about. Having a supportive group of friends who encourage and provide words of wisdom means more to me than anything because there are days when I doubt myself and my abilities to succeed. 

Celina Timmerman-Fun Poloroids
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
The 20-somethings were meant to be full of life-changing moments. I feel like this is where we learn to accept our mistakes and use them as lessons or as building blocks to reach our full potential. HCXO!

Kylah Gilbert

Valdosta '20

My name is Kylah Gilbert. I am a 20 year old Juniorish at Valdosta State University. My writing is an insight to who I am as a person. So welcome to me as a person.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.