This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Studying abroad can be a very eye opening experience for many reasons. If it’s in your budget and you don’t mind being away from home for 6 weeks to up to 6 months, then why not?

Many students who study abroad are a major or minor in a langue, like myself.  What I have been noticing is that the deeper you get into the langue program, the less classes are offered per semester. A great way to finish up your major or minor is to take up to 15 hours abroad. During the summer you can take 6 hours. This is a great way to finish up quickly so you don’t have wait for other classes you need to take to become available.

The great thing about the study abroad programs here at Valdosta State, is that you don’t have to speak a certain langue to go to a certain country. You can study biology in Italy or take some nursing classes in Nicaragua. Why not work on your degree while traveling the world?

Studying abroad is a fantastic way to expand your horizon. You don’t have to necessarily stay in the states to work in your desired field. It’s cool to see how other people live and you slowly are immersed in their culture and way of life. While living in a different country, you naturally pick up the langue so don’t worry about not being able to communicate. Once you are around it for so long it becomes second nature. If you are truly concerned about the langue boundary, most of the summer trips are taught in English and you travel along with a professor from your program. The 6 month programs are solo trips unless you and a friend decide to go together.

The most appealing thing about studying in a different country is that it is way cheaper than making this trip on your own or doing it through an agency. If you get financial aid, your tuition is taken care of. If not, there are tons of scholarships and fundraiser that can help fund your trip! When doing the 6 month program, the only thing you must pay for is your plane ticket and any personal items that are not covered by the school. If studying in Europe, you can plan a trip to a different country by train. Their “spring break” is about two weeks and who wants to spend that time in their dorm? You might want to go to a concert or a festival. There are so many opportunities out there that you might not come across here in the states.

The world and all its possibilities are out there just waiting on you. So, stop by the International Office on campus next to the Health Center and find out how you can make your dream turn into a reality. 

HCXO!

Hello! I'm Erika and I'm a Mass Media and French major. I love to read, write, and listen to music! 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.