This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hey beautiful ladies!

We all love a nice hairstyle; curls, braids, wigs, quick weaves, etc. Have any of you lovely ladies ever considered a clean shave? No, not baby booty smooth, but like… a buzz cut? I understand if you haven’t. Society has told us that women can’t be women without hair, which is bullsh*t. Honestly, I didn’t consider being bald until I got my very first cut and now, I’m addicted to the clippers!

Growing up, my hair was praised by others, and I thought I needed to keep my hair in order to be feminine. Listen ladies, some of the baddest women I know rock a Little Bill and has twice as much sex appeal as the long-haired ones.

BUT WAIT! While women are out here are getting these cool cuts and whatnot, it’s best to know what you’re getting yourself in to. A haircut you like might look simple, but you definitely have to clarify what you want THOROUGHLY to a barber. Once those clippers hit your head, issa wrap. You can thug it out for two to three weeks and try it again.

So, here are some tips to use when going to get a haircut!

• SEARCH FOR BARBERS!

Ladies, we all know of that one dude that always has a nice haircut; a perfect line up and fade. Ask him for recommendations. If you know a fellow bald baddie, ask her as well. Your decision will more than likely resonate with her because it’s rare to see any women rocking a nice cut. Bald women are the true baddies, period! The goal is to find a barber who will fit your needs and give you exactly what you want. Be vocal in what you want ‘cause it’s your head that’s being worked on at the end of the day.

• Found your barber? Let’s go!

Once you’ve picked a barber, search up the business hours of the barbershop. If you’re set on a barber and they’re not there when you get there, LEAVE. I repeat: LEAVE. Or wait for them to show up (if you know they’re coming in), but don’t let anyone else cut your hair. Barbers are tricky. You never know how any barber is unless you’re in their chair being held hostage. If you’re recommended a barber on more than one accord, stick with this barber! I will say there have been plenty of times where somebody recommended me a barber and that barber didn’t live up to my standards. I thought going to another barber would be the fix. ABSOLUTELY NOTDON’T DO IT. The barber that was recommended was just having a bad day. They’re good. Just a bad day. This is where #3 is crucial.

BEFORE GOING TO THE THIRD TIP, I WOULD LIKE TO PREFACE THAT SOME MALE BARBERS GET EXTREMELY EXCITED WHEN THEY HAVE FEMALE CUSTOMERS. THEY MIGHT TRY THEIR HARDEST TO HIT ON YOU, WHICH IS EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL. IF YOU FEEL THE LEAST BIT UNCOMFORTABLE. FIND ANOTHER BARBER; NO MATTER HOW GREAT OF JOB THEY DO. IT’S NOT WORTH IT. Thank you. On to the next tip!

• Show pictures/be exact!

When I tell you this will make or break your haircut….sis. Save that picture of your preferred cut to your phone PLEASE. That will give them a good visual on how you want it cut. They usually want you to let them know how you want it styled, so pay close attention to the questions they ask you. Most male barbers are all for making it as feminine as possible; leaving the front of the hairline alone while shaping up the sides. Some barbers are the old school, “lemme box you up” type dudes. Leave them alone. They don’t work in your favor. If they mess it up, THEN go find a new barber, but do your research FIRST and make your life a lot better. 

• Your hair is cut. Now what?

Okay. So your hair’s been cut. You like it? No? Well… did you let your barber know? At the end of the day, you’re spending your pretty pennies for this bada** cut! If it’s not to your standards, you won’t feel like the baddie you are. You have that right! Let your barber know of the little things they can do to tweak your cut. If they’ve completely messed you up, cause a scene-no I’m just kidding. Let them know of another way to cut your hair, and just don’t return. Like I said before; in two to three weeks, you can try again.

Well ladies, I hope this helped a little. If not… I’m sorry (as usual). It’s taken me a while to find a good barber, so my advice is also some advice I need to take myself. Yes, I’m a hypocrite. Yes, I am. I just want to look out for the best interest of my female readers who want to get a nice haircut. 

With love + bald heads,

-Marissa Auriell

HCXO!

Dom Pollard

Valdosta '22

Dom is a sophomore, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in African American Studies and Sociology. They plan on doing work in either education, activism, film, or all three. They are a queer individual who speaks their mind and provides love + other elements to bring perspective to HERCampus Valdosta. HCXO!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.