Get Back in the Holiday Spirit!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It’s officially the holiday season and I can’t wait to start getting into all of the winter festivities. From ice-skating and shopping, to binge watching all my favorite holiday movies, this time of the year seems to always be the most joyous and enjoyable. One thing that I’ve sadly noticed about the millennial generation and the holidays is that we don’t enjoy them as much as we did when we were younger. Why is that though? What about our age has changed the way we look at the holiday season? I mean it could possibly be that we are now no longer entertained by Santa Clause and his eight reindeer, or the fact that singing snowmen just aren’t that fun to us anymore, and lights and decorations are just too much work to put up ourselves. Well thankfully for some like myself, the holiday spirit is present during all 12 months of the year (I’ll seriously blast the Justin Bieber and Boyz II Men Christmas album in the middle of July) and keeping the holiday spirit alive during the winter season isn’t hard to do. But for those who have a harder time trying to figure out how to make their holidays special, here is a list of things that people our age can do with their friends to create a very lively holiday spirit.

Host a cheesy Christmas sweater party

Yes, it’s old school but they’re also very fun! Include your favorite snacks, drinks, games, holiday music, and invite your best friends over to enjoy good vibes because ultimately, that’s what creates a great holiday spirit.

Experiment with new holiday cocktail recipes. (Disclaimer: if you aren’t 21 years old or older, just skip right over this bullet point)

The holidays is a great time to try new drinks and enjoy them with your friends. Some really popular holiday cocktails include:

• Caramel Apple Mimosas
  • Cranberry Sauce Margaritas
  • Warm Bourbon Cider
  • Sparkling Winter Sangria
  • Mulled Red Wine
  • Pomegranate Margaritas

Of course there are a lot more drinks that you could experiment with, but these are the few that came to my mind. If you’re interested in learning how to make them, you can visit www.delish.com for specific recipes :) 

Make homemade ornaments

You’re never too old for arts and crafts! You can easily add some fun to your holiday gatherings by letting your guest be creative in making their very own ornaments. Finding out exactly what you need to successfully make an ornament can be done by visiting your local arts and crafts stores, or using good ole Google.

Being an adult can be boring sometimes, but don’t let adulthood ruin your holiday spirit. Take time to spend time with your friends and family, and try sparking up some ideas on how to make this holiday season better than the last. HXCO!

HCXO!

Lauren Ashli, formally known as Lauren Thomas is a native of Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a senior at Valdosta State University studying public relations and communication. After graduation, Lauren plans on working full time as a broadcast journalist for a major magazine company or television station. When she's not working behind the camera, Lauren spends time in the dance studio, working on her own personal businesses, socializing, and listening to her all time favorite artist Beyonce Knowles. You can follow her on Instagram @lauren.ashli, and on Twitter @MsLauren_Ashli. You can also visit her personal website www.laurenashli.com
Her Campus at Valdosta State.