This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Today you can see many people confused about who they are and who they strive to become because of all the distractions on Earth. You must know and understand your purpose in life, and you can only do so through your Lord and Savior. We are put on Earth to find Christ, and to find Christ you must be focused on Him. We as humans can easily get put on the wrong path when we follow the wrong crowd. You can be led down the wrong road by not focusing on Christ, which leads to no peace. If you want peace in your mind and spirit you must stay focused on Christ. When you are focused on Christ you will see how He is working in your life. You will not be confused by what He is doing with or for you. You must trust God by focusing and believing that He will guide you down the right path. No one will help you with this task; you must be dedicated to giving God your attention so His presence in your life allows for Him to help. If you find yourself struggling to maintain this attention because of your mindset, here are five ways to focus on Christ.

woman sitting on a chair next to a window
Photo by Tatiana from Pexels
1. Listen to worship music

Listening to music can shape your thoughts and feelings. Music is a strong tool that can be used to direct you down certain paths. You may think it’s just music, but music has a way of creating an emotional connection to your mind. Listening to worship music will help place your focus on God, while music that does not relate to God can distract you from your true goal. It is not to say music that is not worship music is bad, just recognize that such music serves no purpose for you on a spiritual level. If your true goal is to connect with God, listening to worship music can help you reach this goal.

2. Read the Bible

Reading your Bible is an intimate activity that brings you and the Lord closer. If you do not have a print Bible available, you could download a Bible app on your phone. If you are not sure what to read, return to one of your favorite passages. Or you might read a passage suggested by your pastor. Truly you can never go wrong reading anything from the Bible, these are simply a few suggestions for how you could read the Bible, no matter what the circumstances. As you read, pause after a few lines to reflect on the message to understand how it resonates with you. The way you connect with that message could be a sign God is trying to show you how to focus on Him.

3. Pray daily

Always pray throughout your day, especially when you need it the most. When you find yourself getting distracted, pray! It is never a bad time or a bad place to pray. God answers all calls any time of the night and day. Furthermore, there is no wrong way to pray when your heart is pure. God wants you to talk to Him every chance you get. He does not judge you by your prayers. Never feel like God is not listening to you when you pray. He attends to your every word. He knows what you need and what you mean when you pray to Him. Ask God for focus when you find yourself losing focus on Him.

4. Friends with similar faith

When you surround yourself with others that have similar faith and values as you, God will be present. When God is present, He will show you and your friends things that will protect you. God protects His sons and daughters that devote themselves to Him. When you are with friends who share similar goals, you will all reach those goals. You have each other to lean on when you need a push. If you surround yourself with friends who are not rooted in Christ Himself, you will feel lonely. Never depend on someone who does not know your almighty God.

5. Attend church regularly

Attending Sunday service is sometimes just what you need. Going to church can just change your whole mood, especially when you are not at a good place in your life. Have you ever gone to a Sunday service and felt God had a message just for you? You do not have to go to church only for Sunday service; you could go to Bible study, or simply sit and pray in the peacefulness of the chapel. If you step in the Lord’s house and pay Him a visit, He will help you to remain focused on Him.

a woman sits on the edge of a deck overlooking the forest
Chris Ainsworth | Unsplash

As you commit to maintaining your focus on Christ, be aware that there are many distractions that will try to draw you away from a meaningful relationship with God. There is no better relationship then the one you have with God. When you have a strong relationship with God, no one can come between you and Him. Remember to always stay focused because God will lift you to high places that your enemy cannot reach. Also remember that you are human, and you might face challenges. If you do these five simple practices, God will help guide you to a life focused on Him. Stay encouraged, stop procrastinating, and stay away from distractions that will disturb your peace. Reach out to God because He is waiting for you.

Bonny is a transfer student from Georgia Military College, having obtained her associates degree in communication science in Summer 2020. She then transferred to Valdosta State in Fall 2020. She is now a mass media major in her junior year, looking to experience media like she never dreamed of! Bonny's hope that someday her work reaches you and many more.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.