First Lady Michelle Obama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

An article does not pay enough homage to this phenomenal, ambitious woman, who we called our First Lady. First Lady Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama is a mother, lawyer, writer, and the wife of the 44th and current President, Barack Obama. She is also the first African-American First Lady of the United States. Besides being the backbone to her husband as he runs the country, through her four main initiatives, she has become a role model for women. She is an advocate for healthy families, service members and their families, higher education, and international adolescent girl’s education. As an educated, intelligent, and independent minded woman, she has become a role model for women not just in America, but all over the world, whose accomplishments cannot be overlooked.

In 2010, she launched Let’s Move!, bringing together community leaders, educators, medical professionals, parents, and others in a nationwide effort to address the challenge of childhood obesity. The goal of Let’s Move! Is to solve the epidemic of childhood obesity within a generation. Whether it’s providing healthier food in our schools, helping kids be more physically active, or urging companies to market healthier foods to our children.

In 2011, Mrs. Obama and Dr. Jill Biden came together to launch Joining Forces, a nationwide initiative calling all Americans to rally around service members, veterans, and their families and support them through wellness, education, and employment opportunities. Joining Forces works hand in hand with the public and private sector to ensure that service members, veterans, and their families have the tools they need to succeed throughout their lives.

In 2014, Mrs. Obama launched the Reach Higher Initiative, an effort to inspire young people across America to take charge of their future by completing their education past high school, whether at a professional training program, a community college, or a four-year college or university.

In 2015, Mrs. Obama joined President Obama to launch Let Girls Learn, a U.S. government-wide initiative to help girls around the world go to school and stay in school. As part of this effort, Mrs. Obama is calling on countries across the globe to help educate and empower young women, and she is sharing the stories and struggles of these young women with young people here at home to inspire them to commit to their own education.

Mrs. Michelle Obama, we appricate you. HCXO ! 

My name is Anissa Yone' Williams. I am a Graduating Communication & Marketing major at Valdosta State University, who has a passion for Entertainment, Journalism, and Music. Twitter: @_AnissaaAmor Snapchat:AnissaaAmor Instagram:_AnissaaAmor
Her Campus at Valdosta State.