This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

As soon as January hits, we see stores already setting up for Valentines Day. It seems like V day is the most important holiday in February because of the way it’s promoted in stores, advertisements and on TV. Though valentines day is a beautiful day to celebrate with your significant other, friends or even family, we should not let this holiday consume us. People often forget that February is also Black History Month. To be honest, I (a black woman) even forgot. I want February to be recognized for celebrating important Black people and their accomplishments rather than complaining that you are single. 

Photo by The New York Public Library

I will say this Valentine’s Day, we as a whole can work on loving each other more and showing more kindness. In the end, Love always outweighs Hate. From a Christian standpoint, the Bible has several verses about love.

Let all that you do be done in love. ~ 1 Corinthians 16:14 

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. ~ 1 Corinthians 13:13 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. ~ 1 Corinthians 13:4-5: “

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. ~ 1 Peter 4:8: 

If you are reading this, practice loving those different from you. Diversity is so beautiful. Do not be colorblind but learn to accept people different from you.

heart that says love on the inside from pexels.com
Pexels
Lastly, do not let this month determine your happiness based on your relationship status. Yes, it would be nice to share this day with someone you like romantically; however spending time with friends can be just as fun. Grab a group of girlfriends and go out to eat, go bowling, go anywhere. It can be as simple as having a movie night. If you like your alone time, you can still have fun. Go to the spa or treat yourself to the most expensive restaurant. In conclusion, don’t let couples overwhelm you. Being in a relationship is great, but being single is also great and way cheaper.

The Notebook gif
Giphy
Love wins every time! Black culture is important. Being Single is Awesome. Being in a relationship is awesome. That’s all folks!

#HCXO

Ciara Jones

Valdosta '20

Hello, Ciara Jones is a "Senior" at Valdosta State University, majoring in Mass Media. After she graduates, she is planning to go into ministry working with communication media and journalism. She has a passion for Jesus, writing, kids and food. She loves attending bonfires and concerts on her free time.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.