The Everyday College Fashionista: Summer Dresses For Your Body Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

We’ve all been there. You’re standing in front of your reflection in the dressing room, on you is the dress that looked amazing on the mannequin, and hey, it kinda looks like that on you too, right? Before you know it, you’re sashaying your way up to the register, card in hand, purchasing the dress you plan to wear on your night out. The instant you step out into the public eye, all of the presumptuous thoughts on this amazing dress are turning quickly into insecurities as you scramble to pull down the hemline that seems to rise with every step you take.

Experiences like these aren’t fun, and can be easily avoided. Summer is rolling around, and this is the best time to wear a dress and accentuate your favorite parts of your body. The key is determining what styles, cuts and colors look good on your shape, bringing the focus to what you love about your body and finally, feeling confident and secure in whatever you choose to wear. Here is the guide to the perfect summer dress for different body types. 

Athletic:

With an athletic build, the best thing for your body type is to create curves, or emphasize them. A straight and narrow build can be feminized with ruffles and pastels. To best compliment your shape, athletic ladies should reach for dresses that cinch at the waist. Belts are your best friend too, because adding a belt to a shapeless dress creates the illusion of an hour glass figure.Spaghetti and strapless dresses work well too due to smaller upper frames. Athletic ladies, take advantage of the temperature and show off the legs you worked hard for!

Full Figured

Full figured ladies have tons of attributes to accentuate. A big bust, curves and maybe a little junk in the trunk can possibly create problems while shopping, but fear no more ladies, help is here. The key to finding the perfect summer time dress is finding one that balances your top and bottom halves to create an hourglass shape. Dresses that band underneath the bust bring you in at just the right spot, and simulate the hourglass. V-necks and other sexy necklines are perfect to play up your bust area as well. 

Petite

The line for petite is usually drawn at around 5’4″. The key to dressing a petite shape isn’t to make yourself look taller, it’s about dressing for your proportions. The most important rule for petite ladies to remember is to not chop yourself in half. The 1/3rd rule should always be on your mind. This rule states that if there is a belt, cinch or hem, it is either 1/3 away from the top or the bottom of your dress. Maxi dresses serve you well because they create length, and vertical stripes serve the same purpose. Due to your height, avoid heavy fabrics and stick to lighter materials, because too much fabric can drown you.

Even if you don’t fall specifically under any of these categories, the perfect dress is out there! Most of the dresses displayed here can be found at Forever21, one of my favorite places for summer wear. No matter what you decide to step out in this summer, you should feel confident, and carry yourself like a queen. Happy shopping ladies!

instagram; _jasking
Her Campus at Valdosta State.