ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Donating Plasma is a popular new way among college students to earn extra cash and save a life. You may be wondering, what is donating plasma? “Plasmapheresis is a plasma donation process in which you only donate the straw-colored “liquid” portion of your blood, the plasma. A needle is placed in the vein of the donor’s arm, and the blood is collected utilizing a highly specialized medical device approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This automated instrument then separates the plasma from the bloods cellular portion (red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets) which are then returned to the donor through the same needle along with a saline solution to help the body replace the plasma removed from the blood.”

Some people donate plasma simply because they know it is the essential starting material needed to manufacture therapies that help individuals with rare, chronic and often genetic diseases lead healthier and more productive lives. For these people the 50-$70 incentive is just a bonus. Others need the extra money and use donating plasma as somewhat of a parttime job with the bonus of saving/improving lives. 

I was very skeptical about the whole donating plasma and did a lot of research before I signed up. I was happy to find that there are minimal (if any) health risks when donating plasma and it is a quick and professional process. I would recommend it to anyone in need of some extra cash or interested in helping other people in less fortunate situations. The location for Valdosta is called BioTest center and located downtown on North Patterson St.

HCXO! 

Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.