lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Dating a Naturalista: 5 Tips Every Guy Needs to Know!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The only people who understand what it takes to be a naturalista, are the naturalistas! We are overprotective of our hair and will only let specific hands touch it. However, this does not mean we wish to go through this tedious journey on our own. There are just a few hidden rules that come with dating a naturalista.

1. Do Not Bother Her On Wash Day

We are not exaggerating when we state that this is a wash DAY and unless you are aiding in the process, do not distract her! This day is not one to be shared, her hair is claiming it all! Wash day is already a process that is dreaded by most, therefore, your extra two cents on the ridiculousness of this process is unnecessary! There’s nothing worse than being sneered at or rushed during this extensive process. Our hair is crying for our attention! There are specific steps to be followed in each naturalistas wash day routine. Instead of rushing her through it, encourage her to do it right! She will love your optimistic touch to her elongated day.

2. She’s Putting That Bonnet On!

Wow, there are men who find it amusing to insult a woman in a bonnet? You mean to tell me that the appeal of your woman’s hair, while she is asleep, is the basis of your affection? News flash, she’s too good for you! Before you date a naturalista, you’re going to have to grow up. Bonnets protect our hair from breakage, split ends, and the moisture absorbing cotton pillowcases we like to sleep on. Some nights we may be too tired to remember, but if you want her morning to go smoothly, remind her to put that bonnet on! 

3. Compliment Her New Styles

Do not EVER compare her to anyone or tell her she reminds you of something. Saying she looks like anything fluffy will not set the mood, but lead her to contemplate whether or not fluffy is the look she was going for! The unique texture of her hair accentuates her individuality. You should also keep in mind that natural hair is extremely versatile. Truth is, trying new styles takes a lot of effort and confidence. She is bound to step outside of her box to try new things, all she needs is your support. Never get too comfortable with her wearing one style!

4. She Needs Every Single Product That She Says She Needs!

“There’s no way you need all of those products,” says the nonbeliever! Actually, she needs every single last one! Naturalistas like to try every product that could possibly benefit our hair. It is a good thing to have a variety of products because our hair is constantly changing. We must stay on our toes! A lot of times we go through the process of creating our own products. With this being said, do not lay a FINGER on her products without her permission!

5. Buy Her MORE Products

Men who find it thrilling to bash the amount of product and care it takes to tame a naturalista’s mane are SO last year. We’re shining the light on the men who embrace a naturalista’s upkeep. There’s nothing that screams I adore you more than a guy paying attention to his lady’s routines! Yes, she may spend an entire hour searching for one product, but you must also be very observant of the products she has her eye on. It takes a toll on our pockets to keep our maintenance routines up, but our hair does not care! To make things a bit more manageable, we may purchase an item or two at a time. Surprise her with those products she didn’t buy, but spent hours dragging you up and down the aisles for!

Everything gets a little bit easier when you pay attention to the little things! 

-HCXO

Jamesia Folston is an Early Childhood Education student at Valdosta State University. She is a 23 year old alternative music addict who enjoys traveling, thrifting, and creating. She aspires to become an educator abroad and globetrotter.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.