This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Something legendary has happened! Sports Illustrated, a popular American sports media magazine, has decided to publish three different covers for the Swimsuit 2016 issues. Their reasoning for doing this? There were too many amazing women to choose just one. For the first time in 52 years, the editors chose three models to represent on their own individual cover. Nick Cannon and Rebecca Romijn hosted the “Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2016 Revealed” broadcast, which announced Hailey Clauson, Ashley Graham, and Rhonda Rousey would be the lucky models. It came as a shock to all of these ladies, but they were also humbled by the honor. 

Try to look past the provocative nature of the photoshoots momentarily. It’s a pretty giant leap for lady-kind considering the fact that  they are all unique in their own ways. Rousey brings a little edge, Graham brings the curves, and Clauson brings the classic bombshell look to the magazine. While these ladies are all notable for their own reasons, it’s awesome seeing more than one face to cover the Swimsuit ’16 issue. Although, I would’ve loved to see some cultural diversity in the mix. At least Sports Illustrated has admitted that beauty isn’t cookie-cutter, the definition of the word has transformed throughout the years and they’re willing to transform with it. By choosing multiple women, they have broadened the horizon for years to come. Why is this so important?

There are girls everywhere who find it important to see an example–someone who fits their body type or their personal lifestyle goals–in the limelight, on the covers of magazines. For so long, we have only seen the same body types and it’s a great thingto know that these media outlets are giving their stamp of approval to diversity. All kinds of women are winning! There’s still plenty of growth for our society to do, but at least more women are being featured in their natural state without Photoshop doing too much tummy tucking and butt lifting. The real woman is becoming a popular commodity and we should be okay with it. 

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.